FIFTY-TWO

When we pull up outside of Courtney's house, there are already a hundred cars parked on her driveway and along the road while the steady thump of the music can be heard. I can only imagine how loud it really is if it's so loud here and we're still a decent distance away from her house. I rub my sweaty hands on my legs and Alex switches his engine off. I stare at the mansion a few meters before us and reminisce over everything I ever did in it. Every party I ever went to, every argument we had, every time I went against what I knew was right. Suddenly, crashing a party doesn't sound so appealing anymore.

"Hey," Alex says, grabbing my hand and giving it a light squeeze. I look over at him, the street lamps giving him an almost ethereal glow and making him seem like he was carved by the Greek Gods themselves. He gives me a small smile and I return it although mine is nervous.

"You look incredible," He says, his eyes sliding over my outfit and I blush, giving him a grateful smile.
Today I threw on a black dress that cuts deep into my chest- not showing too much cleavage though- and reaches mid-thigh, with a pair of black lace up heels. I then put my hair up into a high ponytail, curling the ends and letting a few strands hang loose to frame my face. Nothing special really.

"Thank you. You look handsome." I say, not lying one but. Alex is wearing a pair of black jeans, a navy blue button up shirt and boots. His hair is left messily but that somehow makes him look even hotter. He chuckles before leaning over and pressing a kiss to my forehead.

"If you need anything, let me know, alright?" He says, resting his forehead against mine.

"Alright," I respond. He smiles one last time, pecking my lips and saying the three words that continuously make my heart thump harder.

"I love you."

All the nerves drain from my body and I'm left with pure ecstasy.
"I love you more," I respond. Alex grins goofily.

"I'll never get tired of hearing you say those words."

I giggle as I blush and he opens his door, climbing out as I follow his lead.

The humid Miami breeze sticks to my skin and I am grateful I decided to leave my hair up today.
Alex and I join up with the rest of the Rebels- Thalia and Dylan included, mind you- with linked hands.

"You guys ready?" Martin asks all of us and Nina grins deviously.

"Fuck yeah."

I laugh nervously and we all walk towards the Smith Mansion. Courtney's house- mansion, I mean- was one of those typical ones plucked out of a home magazine.

It has large windows, neat cut grass, many rooms lit up, a huge swimming pool that is hardly used and furniture that you don't want to sit on because it looks so fancy. The broad and tall black gate intimidates you the minute you walk up to it and the two marble pillars that are by the door make you want to run away. I never quite understood how Courtney threw her parties due to the fact that her parents are not very laid back. I mean, they are extremely wealthy and have a successful business- how could they be laid back? I met them twice and I came to the conclusion that I liked neither of them. Courtney's mom looked just like her: tan, tall, brown hair and eyes, defined features, beautiful all in all. Her dad however had blue eyes. Both Mr and Mrs Smith came across very cold and stoic, getting down to business regarding everything. Perhaps that's the reason why Courtney only hosts parties when they're not home, which is quite often since they're always traveling. I don't know how she covers up the destruction after the party from her parents like the broken vases and ornaments but then again, if you're as rich as her you could probably just buy new ones.

Once we reach the door, passing wasted teenagers along the way, we knock and when James opens up the door, his smug smile stays attached to his face . My teeth start vibrating in my mouth from how loud the music is and I remind myself to take an aspirin later because I'll definitely have a headache.