FORTY-THREE

"You could've put more effort into it Liam." Miss Anderson says as she hands Liam back his grade for our art assignment- the one Courtney and Megan ruined of mine when they decided to drench me in muddy water.

I bop my leg up and down nervously as I wait for her to hand me back mine. After what feels like forever, she walks up to me and gives me a wide grin.
"Your work was exceptional, Sophie. Especially given the circumstances." She puts a white piece of paper down on my desk and I pick it up, looking at the mark scrawled in red.

My face breaks into a grin as I read it.

A+

I literally squeal.

I can't wait to tell Alex about this!
When the bell rings, signaling the end of the day, I quickly pack my things up and rush to my locker.
I grab the library books in it intending to exchange them. I sent Alex a message earlier, letting him know that was where I was going and that he could go in without me, Rachel would pick me up, but he said that he'd wait.

The smell of the dusty library makes me sigh in content and I bask in the silence of it. There's a few kids scattered here and there either looking at books or making out in the dark corners but it's rather empty. People don't tend to spend their time here willingly.

I put my book on the return stack and walk on the maroon carpets in search of a new book. I pull out a few, none of which are truly appealing and I sigh. I just need one book. I usually take more but since I've being so preoccupied lately, I haven't had time to read as much as I usually do. However, my mom always told me that we must make time for things we love and since I love reading, I try and read when I can.

I pull out 'The Hunger Games' and smile in victory. I'm not a huge fan of it or anything but it was a good movie. The plot line was pretty cool. However, I have to say that Divergent is still my preference.

With the book in hand, I walk up to the counter where Mrs Henderson- the elderly librarian- is sitting behind the desk, typing away at her computer.

"Hello Mrs Henderson," I say softly, handing her the book so she can check it out for me. Her eyes move away from the screen and connect with mine. Her eyes are enlarged by her glasses and the skin around them crinkle as she smiles at me.

"Hello, Sophie. How are you doing, dear?" She asks just as soft. It is a library after all. She puts the book into the system.
"I'm great and you?"

She chuckles, "I'm alright. So, only one book today?"

I smile. "Yeah. I've been busy lately so I haven't had much time to read." I explain. Mrs Henderson nods as she licks her chapped lips and logs the book in before stamping it and handing it back to me.

"Here you go, dear. Have a good afternoon."

I take it from her wrinkled hands and give her a heartwarming smile. "Thank you Mrs Henderson. You too."

She smiles before getting back to work and I leave the library, slipping the book into my backpack. I check the time on my phone and realise I was in there for a good twenty minutes- the reason the school is so empty.
Alex should have really just gone off without me. I don't want to stop him from doing whatever it is he wants to do after school just because he's my lift.

I slip my phone back into my pocket as I walk down the eerily silent hallway. This part of the school is always the quietest for some reason. As I walk, the only sound that can be heard are my footsteps. Well, that is until I turn down the hallway and hear a few bangs and yelling. I halt and try to listen but I can't make out anything. I turn around and walk in the other direction before turning left.