FIFTY-EIGHT

"Are you mad at Thalia and Dylan?" I ask Alex as we stare at the now increasingly dark sky. He sighs beside me and I feel him turn onto his side so he can look at me.

"No. He did it to protect his child and I don't blame him for that. And Thalia, well, I think she didn't want to let Dylan go so she hung around and offered him assistance in form of a coverup." He shrugs, accepting their decisions. I smile at how mature he's being about it.

"Thalia told me she loved him." I say and Alex nods sadly.

"Yeah, but I think he didn't. I'm not mad at any of them. Life often makes things difficult. However, I am pissed off that he hit on you and liked to pass snarky remarks. I was considering punching him. Especially when he stole my chance of making a move on you at the carnival."

I giggle at Alex and he smiles down at me. I reach up and cup his cheek. "I'm so proud of you. You're so supportive even though they hurt you."

He shrugs. "I scored with the most amazing girl in the world so I'm alright. Pretty great, actually." He smirks. I laugh, shaking my head at how cute he is. Damnit, what did I do to deserve him?

"I'm so grateful for dropping that bucket of paint on you." He chuckles and I nod in agreement.

"I never thought I'd say this but thank you for ruining my boots." I giggle and Alex leans down to peck my nose.

"You don't have to thank me twice."

I roll my eyes but don't stop the warm feeling from swirling inside of my stomach. Alex sits up, pushing himself to his feet. I sigh sadly. I just want to stay here forever.

"C'mon," Alex states while sticking his hand out for me to take. It's large and warm around mine. "We should head home."

I dust myself off and we slowly pack up everything before walking to the car. Now the black canvas is decorated with lights that nature blesses us with and once we're in the car, I can't help but sigh in content. It's being a good day. Alex looks over at me and smiles. We drive to my house in a comfortable silence and when he pulls up outside, I pout in disappointment. He laughs at me, pecking my lips as he climbs out the car and walks me to my front porch. He stops outside my front door and kisses my forehead.

"Goodnight, Cooper." He smirks.

I smile. "Goodnight, Rosewood."

He winks before walking to his car and driving away and I watch before stepping inside. I lean my back against the wooden door and try to suppress a smile although I fail.

Miserably.

****

I dig through my cupboard for a decent pair of shoes and I hear Rachel chuckling behind me. I glare at her over my shoulder and she holds her hands up in mock surrender. I roll my eyes before looking back at my closet. I can't find my pair of trusty converse anywhere and it's driving me up the wall. I dig further in my closet, pulling out pair after pair. That is until I find a very familiar pair of black boots. I gasp and pull out the boots that are covered in purple paint. I press my hand to my mouth in surprise and Rachel bounces off my bed before coming to my side.

"What happened to your boots?" She asks me. I feel tears spring to my eyes but these are ones of happiness as I'm transported back to the day it happened.

I let out a loud shriek as a bucket of paint hits the floor and covers my feet. I hear movement and look up to see a guy clad in a simple white shirt and dark wash jeans, climbing down a ladder.