Chapter Nine

LEXION

The Moon goddess' otherworldly beauty and aura pierced through him as if he were nothing more substantial than a sieved piece of paper

The Moon goddess' otherworldly beauty and aura pierced through him as if he were nothing more substantial than a sieved piece of paper. Light clothed her, flowing around her in the semblance of a dress, declaring to all that she was something other, more so than the Mythkind.

For more than three centuries, she'd ignored the summons put to her, with the exception of Matteo's family, and even then she'd never shown up. Yet she had shown up for two homeless teenagers.

Lex turned to see what his parents thought of it, but aside from Matteo, he was alone in the field of white that had become their world. Santiago's eyes held such awe and reverence that Lex felt like he was intruding just because he witnessed it. He felt like there was something wrong with him since he failed to feel anything close. Then again Santiago had grown up with the goddess' favour, not her unrelenting hatred that had lasted more than a millennium.

He turned back to meet the goddess' eyes. Cold rained down his neck as he saw the indifferent regard her eerie silver eyes graced him with. Like a snake deciding whether to attack or slither away. Not that the goddess would ever slither. No, she'd only give him a reprieve from her, decide that for today, he would live.

His heart stuttered in his chest, a threat, its need to escape from the terror he suddenly felt. The instinctual knowledge that Lunar's feelings for him, whatever they were, were personal. Nothing to do with her hatred of his people, those she had once loved.

He couldn't breathe as she captured him with the power of her gaze, nothing more. An overwhelming sense of inadequacy hit him, the sense that he could be snuffed out as easily as an insect. That he had never achieved anything beyond the accident of his birth.

What was he beyond the alpha blood? What had he accomplished that made him worthy of his mate? Power was attributed to him because of who he was, not who he was. Maybe Tania should leave him, she deserved better...

Lex stiffened as that thought crossed his mind. Anger rose in him swifter than a hunting falcon, these were not his thoughts. He narrowed his eyes at the moon goddess, forgetting his fear of her. Why would she invade his mind like this? He'd never done anything to provoke her. Sure he was never really reverent where she was concerned, but who was anymore?

She gave him a smug, chilling smile that froze his blood. He couldn't look away from her as his breath froze and he found himself rooted to the spot like a deer before some headlights. It went on forever, her smile turned just a bit contemptuous as she raised an imperious brow.

He found himself gasping for air when she finally released him. Sweet air rushed through him as he sucked on it like a hungry child. Groping for a chair, he threw himself onto it as his legs gave way to the relief that he was alive. The curses that fouled the air barely registered while he concentrated on the beauty of breathing.

He was no longer in the weird field of light. Vaguely, he could hear the movements and complaints the others made, but he was too caught up in himself to check on them. Once again time held no meaning as he closed his eyes and focused on the mechanics of breathing.