Chapter Thirty-Nine ext

LEXION

Keeping his breathing even and a veneer of peaceful calm over his mind he traced his mate as she stealthly drew away from him

Keeping his breathing even and a veneer of peaceful calm over his mind he traced his mate as she stealthly drew away from him. All the while he felt her eyes on him, her fear that she'd wake him up.

It was that fear of discovery that sought to exclude a loved one. Painful at times than having the person you loved truly fear you. Lex squashed the hurt that wanted to rise up as he sensed his mate leave her own bedroom to lie down on her sitting room sofa.

Had he been wrong to get in bed with her? She'd seemed to crave his presence and touch whilst they'd been with the goddess. What had changed?

Opening his eyes he stared up at the darkened ceiling, absently watching the play of shadows upon it. All the while trying to maintain the pretense of sleep as he felt her light touch brushing against his mind.

If they'd already mated he'd never have been able to get away with it, but that was a grievance for another day. The reality that his mate had needed a whole room seperating them was enough of a thorn.

He wanted to understand, to acknowledge she had reason to seek solitude, but his heart and his wolf fought that. Despair settled over him like an iron mantle too heavy to even try and remove.

All he wanted was to go and confront her, to demand answers. But did he have a right to do that? Hadn't he promised himself he'd be patient with her, move at her pace? So what if she took a step back? Did he really want to be that guy?

Yet his emotions wouldn't be assuaged by any reason nor would his wolf.

So caught up in himself was he that the sudden shift jarred him so much that his heart nearly squeezed itself out of his chest. His breathing stopped,  and his mind shut down before the disorientation overcame him.

Though the sun graced the azure sky, the chill of winter could still be felt against the skin. The wind teasing goosebumps on the exposed skin of the youths eager to embrace the coming summer.

Watching as they raced around and jumped or pushed each other into the pool a need arose to join their carefree stunts. But a call from the Alpha was not something to ignore even if his presence unsettled.

Their Alpha held a sense of danger within him unlike any other. Not the dominating strength all alpha bloods had that reasured pack members of their safety. No, the Alpha raised hackles, silenced those around him with an instinctive need to hide from his notice.

Yet today there was no choice but to be noticed.

The taunt sensation that pervaded the sense of the pack was something the alliance Alphas should've long addressed, but their pack was not in good terms with the alliance. The Alpha claimed it was jealousy on the others' part and there was enough merit in the sentiment. Though suspect said it had to be more than that.