Chapter Forty-six

TANIA

She'd missed the thrill of the fight

She'd missed the thrill of the fight. The surge of adrenaline pulsing through her body until her focus and speed were magnified. When she felt more alive than at any other time. Where the wolf and human were caught in a moment of perfect understanding that they could be one.

A time when the primal aggressive cunning of the wolf met the analytical ruthlessness of the human. And they became a force of war intent on conquest, to either dominate or submit.

Nia felt her wolf's drive to kill her opponent, rage that she hadn't felt gathering in her beast over the days. It now swirled through their combined psyche making it impossible for Nia to focus.

She'd thought her meeting with the alpha bloods had been emotionally overwhelming but now she realised it had been a walk in the park. Rage danced with outrage as her wolf recalled the small insults they'd endured. Nia resented the belated reaction, which added to her turmoil.

Her own emotions seemed to hit her like a sledge hammer, multiplied. It was an assault that bloomed from her core. A betrayal she couldn't wrap her mind around.

The excitement from the crowd was a constant pressure aiming to flatten her brain. The strain of keeping them all out taking all she had. Pretending to be calm, she watched the Sidera outline the rules without hearing her. Lucky she'd already explained everything before.

'Enough!' She demanded of her wolf when she couldn't take it anymore. 'We cannot harm anyone.'

'You might be a healer,' the wolf declared. 'But I'm an alpha and will bow down to no one.'

The assertion paused Nia. She knew that an non alpha blood inherited alpha abilities from their mate after being marked. Neither Jake nor Lex had marked them, yet her wolf claimed alpha status. 'How are you an alpha?' She asked.

'I've always been an alpha, I just never felt the need to assert myself before.'

'How are you an alpha?' Nia emphasized again. The wolf kept her silence. 'Of what bloodline?' She questioned. Alpha lines were kept track of even more vigorously than any other.

And how had she not known she was an alpha? How many things had her mothers kept from her? Still kept from her? And were her siblings also alpha bloods?

'How can you hide something so important from me?' She demanded, hurt joining the boiling surge already inside her.

'Would knowing have made a difference in your life?' Tania asked and Nia paused as she tried to answer, but the wolf didn't give her a chance. 'When the knowledge of your bloodlines will put you in more danger than being the child of the moon?'

'How?' Maybe it was an idiotic question but it just came out.

'There is a reason why no record of your parents exists. Their bloodlines were deliberately ended and you are the last to claim them.'