Chapter Fifteen

LEXION

The recoil felt good against his arms, he tensed his muscles so the axe wouldn't rip out of his hands as it connected

The recoil felt good against his arms, he tensed his muscles so the axe wouldn't rip out of his hands as it connected. Prying it loose, he swung again, finding some measure of satisfaction at the rote, monotonous chore.

He needed the mind-numbing, though it didn't seem to take, the mess his mind was still assaulted him, aggression pumping through him. Even though it was a part of his nature, in his blood, he'd always been laid back. Now it was all he could do to think rationally. He wanted to fight, rip someone apart and rejoice at the confirmation of his strength.

It confused him, this primitive urge to prove himself where there was no need, which made him angry and hence more aggressive. Taking it out on the wood eased him a little, but it wasn't enough. Still, he kept at it.

He swung again, the force of it burying the axe into the stump he was using to prop the wood. Swearing, he yanked the axe out, again with too much force that it was thrown out of his hands.

If his mother was around to hear the sulphurous words that came out of him, she'd wash his mouth out for a month. Luckily he was far from the packhouse or any of the other houses. He'd be embarrassed if anyone saw him being a fool, embarrassed enough to start a fight.

He growled at having to go fetch the freaking thing. 'We need our mate, she will calm us down' his wolf said. Lex paused to examine the wolf, he'd been so caught up in his own feelings he hadn't noticed it was also raging. The need to kill was foremost in his thoughts. With only one target, the Eastaughffe Alpha.

He realized how right his wolf was. They were feeding each other's anger and if they didn't calm, there would be trouble. No matter how tolerant and understanding his father was, the Alpha wouldn't put up with his destructive anger.

But how could he face his mate? He'd been so inadequate to her pain, unable to ease it, let alone convince her there was hope for them. The only way to truly erase the Eastaughffe Alpha's scent would be to fully claim her. Marking her as they made love and having his wolf do the same to hers, but she wasn't ready for that. Maybe she never would be.

Lex could still remember how she'd flinched at his touch, locking herself in her mind. The blank look that'd been on her face for what felt like hours no matter how hard he'd tried to get to her.

Her mother was right, he was undeserving of her. Shouldn't a mate be able to reach the other just with a touch?

He found the axe, then marched back to put another piece on the stump. 'No.' He answered his wolf. They'd just have to muddle through somehow.

Was it because he was her second mate? An inadequate substitute? Another swing, tempered, connected and the two pieces flew apart. Well, that was better than last time, he thought. Would he even be able to erase the scent?

He repeated the process with the wood, finding satisfaction in tempering himself enough to have it forced apart so violently. His father would be pissed, but he was getting the job done and taking his anger out on something inanimate. The questions still tormented him and he found no answers to them, so he kept chopping.