Colors

-Riley-

     The world is beautiful, every variation, every color paints the world with such majesty you can't help falling in love with it. Blue is a color of stories to me though, you see, everyone is colorblind to a specific color. No one really knows how or why this happened, but it is fact. I, Riley Eleanor Matthews, am blue colorblind. I can see all the natural beauties of the world except for the blues. People who are green colorblind or brown colorblind tell me about this color blue. They talk about it in many words with a happy tone to their voice, they speak of blue like one would speak of a celebrity crush they were madly in love with. I yearn for the day I meet them, my soulmate of course. The legend goes that everyone is colorblind to the color of their soulmates eyes, and when someone meets their soulmate they are able to see all the world in full color and understanding. It saddens me when I think of my mother, Topanga, she was in love with my father for so many years, she saw the world for all it was until he got in the accident. The accident happened at night when he was coming home from work, he was on his motorcycle coming home from the last janitorial shift of the day when a semi came out of nowhere and hit my father, killing him instantly. We didn't know what was going on, I heard my mother scream from her bedroom, I could hear her sobs echo through our apartment. My brother and I rushed to her room turning on the lights and she sat in the middle of her bed, her hands on her ears she rocked back and forth the tears falling off her cheeks and making a spot on the sheets. When we finally calmed her down she opened her eyes again, and with choked words she told us she heard him scream and when she opened her eyes everything was black and white. The legend also says you can have another soulmate to return color to your world but my poor mother has yet to find someone that she can love as much as she loved dad. My brother tells me when he has a nightmare he goes to sleep with her and all she says in her sleep is dad's name, "Josh, Josh, Josh." I hope I never have to deal with pain like that ever in my life.
  -----
    My mom sat us down at the table for dinner tonight and it was quiet like usual until she cleared her throat, "Riley, Auggie, I'm letting you know that we're moving to a new district. It's up in New York and it means public school and a new job opportunity for me. I'm gonna finish my degree and become a lawyer." She spoke, I could see the tears threatening to fall and her bottom lip quivered as she held in the tears. I knew she was really just trying to move on from dad, so I got up from my seat and gave her a tight hug. I didn't have to say anything before the tears started falling, her sobs were muffled in my shoulder and I rubbed her back.
"Mom it's gonna be ok. I'm proud of you for trying to finish your degree now. I love you mom, I'm always gonna be here for you." I whispered and she trembled in my arms, trying to stop the pain from coming. No one could do that, as I have learned now, pain comes and goes. Pain stays for a long time before it must eventually go away, but pain must come for we cannot know happiness without it.
----
I got a mark on my wrist today, it's one of the first signs you're gonna meet your soulmate soon. I cheered and told my mom and she smiled, telling me how happy she was for me. After I told her I kinda felt bad because even though she tried to tell me it wasn't true I could see the sadness and pain in her eyes as she remembered how she was like this when she met dad. I can't wait to see the color blue, I know it will be the most magnificent color of all.
----
   We moved in to New York today and while Mom went to check out schools I went to the grocery. I got another mark and I cheered and danced in my room as I unboxed some of my bedroom items. I heard a squeal from the living room and I ran to check what was going on. My mom was glowing bright, her smile radiated and I couldn't help but smile too. She called my brother into the room and told us about the school we were going to attend. When she finished I asked her why she was smiling and she bit her lip as she thought. "I saw a red rose today." She explained, "On one of the teachers suits, he had it pinned to his collar because he had lost his wife and her favorite color was red so although he could not see it anymore he used it as a tribute." She spoke her eyes glowing as she remembered her experience. I asked his name and she gladly answered Mr. Matthews.
-----
I went to public school for the first time today and while most people say it's awful my first day was perfect. You wanna know why? Because I saw blue, I was gathering my things from my locker, I dropped my notebook and when I went to pick it up a girls hand touched mine and I looked up at her. I couldn't see her eyes just yet but I could see how perfect she was, her clothes clinging in all the right places, her golden blonde hair flowing way past her shoulders, and the slight smile I could see as she grabbed my notebook. When she handed it too me she looked me in the eye. Blue filled in all the blanks of the scene and I was overwhelmed, "Whoa." We both said, trying to examine what exactly was going on. I grabbed my notebook from her before I tossed my books on the ground. I grabbed her face and pulled her close, our lips connected and she resisted before melting into it her lips were soft and sweet and tasted like peaches. The kiss was short but perfect all the same. We pulled apart and she was still in my arms, "I'm Riley Matthews, your lips taste like peaches, and may I just say you have the prettiest of blue eyes." She smiled at me and pulled me in for another kiss which I gladly accepted. After we pulled apart this time she was the one that spoke, "I'm Maya Hart, and I'm so glad brown was just as beautiful as Evelyn described it for me. And as I look around your eyes are still the best brown I can see." I kissed her again, savoring each moment I had with her. Today was perfect.
----
I got married today, my new father slid gave me Maya's ring and I could hear my mom crying, I looked over at her and her own wedding band glinted on her finger as she wiped her eyes. I got married on the beach, even though the ocean and sky were blue the only thing I cared about was the blue in Maya's eyes as we said 'I do' and the way her hand fit into mine as we walked down the isle hand in hand. Today was perfect because love is a beautiful thing that's prettier than all the colors.

(A/N)
Yes I know it's not a super Rilaya chapter I just thought it was kinda cute. The reason her last name was Matthews in the first place was because Topanga originally fell in love with Cory's distant cousin Josh, Josh and Cory didn't even know they were related while Josh was still alive. Just a short explanation. I hope you liked this one, even though it's not really RiGAYa. Also thank you guys so much for the support and over 7k reads. It means a lot to me and holy crap it's really kind of mind blowing to think that more than 5 people have read something I wrote. Thanks again I couldn't be continually writing decent without your support.