Abuse

-Riley-

"STUPID DYKE!" My mom screamed her words stung, but it didn't hurt as much as the blow that hit next or the ones after that. Ever since dad left mom started drinking she started hitting up her old buddy Jack Daniels and I swear she'd drown herself in him everytime she got home if it wasn't for me. She tells me it's my fault and I believe her. After all dad left after I came out, which meant he left because of me. So my mom blames me for everything and she's right if I hadn't of had to be gay I wouldn't have to take a beating every night after I get home from college. She only keeps from drowning in Jack Daniels because she occupies herself with torturing me in whatever new way she could find. She grabbed an old bottle of Scotch and hit me over the head with it, I could see her eyes, they were cold and red. She didn't even hesitate. I winced and almost screamed in pain as I felt the glass shatter on my scalp, I put my hands to my head and then pulled them back, blood covered my fingertips. I got up, "I'm tired of taking this from you!" I yelled as I stumbled over my own feet. She chuckled hysterically, "Well you wouldn't have to take this if you weren't such a useless horrible dyke." I could feel the blood moving across my scalp as I rushed towards her. I shoved her up against the wall, "BACK OFF FOR ONCE!" I yelled I couldn't harm her though, I couldn't do it. I loosened my grip on her shirt and she laughed as I realized what I had done, "Dont talk to your momma like that you stupid dyke. You're to treat your mother with respect, I don't think you understand. So I'm gonna make you understand." She shoved me to the ground, she was too drunk tonight, she was never this bad if only I had kept my mouth shut. I lay limp on the floor as she kicks me. I can feel my ribs bruising and I even feel one snap when she forces her heel on my side. The pain is so intense I pass out, and when I wake up my head feels as if it'll explode. My vision is blurry and I can't seem to open my eyes all the way, it's hard to breathe and my torso hurts so intensely I feel I might pass out again. Mom is passed out on the couch my blood covers her hands and I can feel the blood drying on my scalp. I taste the blood in my mouth and I take note to my busted lip.

This is probably the worst night yet, she never gets this bad, she's never broken a bottle over my head before now. I want to stand but I'm too weak. So I crawl, very very slowly, the pain radiates throughout my entire body but I don't dare scream, I can't risk waking her up. I can't stay here tonight either. I pull my phone from my pocket, it's shattered but it seems to still work. I go to Maya's contact and I call her, she's all I have, she's all I need and she's the only one who helps me after my mom gets bad. "Hey Riles, what's up." Her angelic voice floats through the phone and I start to smile but I wince, "H-Hey Maya, I need you to uh, p-pick me up. I-I she w-was r-really bad t-tonight. I n-need you to help p-pick glass out of m-my hair." I spit out the blood in my mouth with every syllable and I hear her gasp on the other line then I hear her rustling around, "I'll be right over Riles, it'll be alright baby girl. I'll take care of you. I love you so so much, just hang on till I get there. I'm in my car now, so I'll be over in 5, don't go anywhere." I can't even find the strength to whisper I love you too before she hangs up. I shakily stuff the phone back in my pocket and I try to start crawling towards the door. Slowly I inch my way across the floor and I can feel the glass shards digging in my exposed calves and arms. I barely make it a foot and I feel like passing out from the pain and from exhaustion. I curl myself up into a ball and I let the tears slip down my cheeks. I hear the front door unlock and Maya comes rushing in, I can see the rage in her eyes as she sees what's happened. Her eyes soften as they land on my small figure. She rushes over to my side and she moves my head so she's looking right at me, "Hey baby girl, it's gonna be alright. We have the proof now. Her bottle is in your skin, they won't be able to tell us to get over it this time. It's really gonna be okay baby girl." She wipes the tears from my cheeks and she moves me gently being careful to not agitate the black and purple bruises forming on my skin. I can feel the cool of her leather jacket as she pulls me into her. "Oh baby girl I'm so sorry it had to be this way." She whispers into my hair before planting a tender kiss on the top of my head. She cradles me in her arms and she stands up. She moves slowly and carefully at first but when I don't make a sound she walks normally. My head is pounding so loud I swear it'll wake up my mom. The cold leather of Maya's jacket feels soothing on my bruising sensitive skin. She smells like vanilla and smoke and it calms me.

I didn't realize I was shaking until she sets me in the passenger side of her car and I feel the glass in my arms glide against the rough fabric of her car seats. She slams my door shut and she runs to her side of the car jumping into her seat. The car hums with life as she turns the ignition key, I see the worry on her brow and I know she's not fearless despite how she tries to tell me she is. She notices me staring and she flashes me a reassuring smile before turning her head quickly back to the road. I feel light headed and I lean my throbbing head against the cool window. The bright lights of the hospital make my head throb even more. Maya moves to my side and she rushes me into the hospital. It hurts as she jogs, the movement makes me want to scream but still I stay silent, instead I let the tears stream down my face. I see the doctors approach us and I feel the scratchy blankets of a gurney underneath me and I moan in pain as the gurney shakes while they roll me down the hall. I faintly hear the doctors yelling with a mix of Maya begging for me to be okay. The light fades and everything is blurry, the great noise is mufffled and it's hard to keep my eyes open. So I shut them.

When I wake up Maya's holding my hand and there are cops standing at the end of my bed, she looks up at me with a soft look in her eyes, her ocean eyes have never looked so incredible. She squeezes my hand lightly and the police officers coldly stare me down, "Ma'am you need to tell us exactly what happened so we can get this under control." The tall scrawny one spoke, his voice was gruff and so I spoke. I told him about how long this has been going on, I told him about the verbal assaults and then the physical ones. I told him that she was the worst she had ever been tonight, but it didn't seem to stop the intense frown he had plastered on his face. I finished my story and he looked up at me, "We will handle this ma'am, thank you, goodnight hope you feel better." And with that awkward statement they walked out the door.

It's been a month since that night. I've moved in with Maya, she's taken care of me ever since and I've never been more grateful. My ribs still ache and my head still pounds from my concussion, but my mom is gone. Locked away for 20 something years, domestic abuse they called it. I'm just lucky I won't have to take it from her anymore. I still have nightmares, they're so vivid it's almost as if I can feel the glass digging in my skin again. But life moves on, and I go to classes and I come home to Maya laying in our bed instead of beatings from my mom and I'm happy. For once in my awful life, I'm truly happy, because of Maya. I'm grateful. I'm truly grateful.

(A/N)

Thank you guys so much for all the love and support I know updates are slow but the fandoms pretty down so I've kind of slowed down too. But we are over 17K reads now!! Thank you guys so much for all the immense support! It's appreciated lots!