Golden Hour

Golden hour

———————————

Maya and Riley had known eachother for years. They looked after eachother. Everything they did, they did together. They were closer than two peas in a pod. Their love for each other was visible from miles away. It glowed like a warm fire on the perfect summers night. Their friends always knew that one day, no matter how far away. Riley and Maya would become more than friends. Even strangers could see their love. On multiple occasions as they walked down the streets of New York, with their hands intertwined, the friendly people would say how cute they were. Their first kiss couldn't have been more perfect. Maya, the girl who was always in control, her heart was beating out of her chest. She couldn't stop herself from looking at Riley's lips, they looked the color of peaches at 5:30 when Riley turned gold. The sun was warm and it filled the bay window with golden light. Maya grabbed Riley's hand and pulled her focus from her homework to maya. Riley smiled softly at maya and she noticed it. Like she had never seen her before she looked at maya, the sun kissing her skin, she radiated. It made Riley's heart swell. They stared at each other, admiring the others beauty. Riley squinted slightly, "Maya I love you." Maya replied, "I love you too Riley." They had said I love you a thousand times, after fights, before parting ways, before class, during class, at topangas. This time it was different, Riley didn't think maya had gotten her message, "no maya. I love you." Maya chuckled, "I love you too sunshine you already told me this though." Riley looked at maya and she couldn't believe how she'd never seen this before. How she'd never looked at her at 5:30 in their window. "Damnit peaches." Riley whispered and maya was confused, she tilted her head cute as could be. Riley grabbed her face. Maya thought it would be another one of those where they'd stare into each others eyes but Riley had closed hers and she was a lot closer. Maya grabbed Riley back and crushed their lips together. The feeling in their hearts was one that would never go away. Not throughout high school, or college, not even after they married. They kissed and together they were golden. Most kids grow up to believe their parents are soulmates, Riley and Maya's kids were right about that. Because no matter what fight, no matter what struggle. They would never leave eachother. Their hearts still skipped beats when the other walked into the room. Every touch and every kiss produced a feeling that never faded. Even when the girls grew old and their memory faded every touch brought it back. Riley was the first to pass, as they laid together in bed maya felt it. And as she touched Riley her skin was cold. The feeling no longer ignited. Maya didn't know what to do. She just wanted to hold Riley. So until the sun came up and someone came to check on them in the morning, maya held Riley's stiff body into her. Never wanting to let go. Even when they tried to pry her away from her sunshine she refused to let go. Her confusion and grief overwhelmed her. By the time of her funeral Maya had no idea where those people were taking her. But something inside of her let a tear drop fall as they spoke of this beautiful girl that had existed, it reminded her of someone she had known, if only she could remember who. When it was Maya's turn to pass she was cold and alone. With no memory of who she was or who she had loved. There was no one there to hold her tight as she crossed into eternity. But suddenly she remembered. She could picture her kissing her riles in the golden hour of the bay window. She remembered who she was. And in that way she could never die alone because she had her riles. Who came to her and warmed her soul before they crossed together. Smiling like they were teenagers again. Holding hands and kissing in the sunshine. Though no one was there to hear them. Maya did have last words. It seems insignificant because she would always ramble on in her sleep. But before she went... she said, "I'm coming home Riles, you won't have to wait anymore."

———————-

I know this is short and insignificant. Less than a 1000 words. Everything's so hectic now. It all is just happening. Time is passing me by. I'm in soccer, I'm happy. I'm gonna start high school, I'm happy. I'm going on 3 months with my girl, I'm happy. I'm just so busy. To be honest I wish I wrote more. Even though I cried writing this I loved it. I miss writing. I miss letting the words flow on the pages. I know Rilaya is dying and he fandom is almost exctinct but I'm gone try my best to keep writing. Thank you guys s much for the continued support. I love you.