Chapter 1

She drank from the goblet forlorn

Red lipstick staining the ivory skin
Ecstasy overwhelming her reverie

From chaos, a dark soul was born.

Dec 16

Adjusting her graduation cap she directed her attention towards one of her friends who was telling something beside her, physically she was there but mentally she didn't even know what was happening. She was waiting for Emaad to arrive and for that she was looking out for Janaan, obviously both the siblings will arrive together but things would have been easier if either one of them would have picked up their phones. What could possibly have happened that they both were out of reach? It was the first time this was happening and Daniyah was getting restless by every passing second.

A sigh of relief left her mouth as she spotted Janaan making her way out of the crowd towards where their batch were sitting, smiling Daniyah waved at her but frowned when Janaan looked away. She must not have seen me!

The rest of the event went by quickly and after the ceremony was over Daniyah made her way where her parents were standing, hugging her father she received the wishes from both her parents and then excused herself to find Janaan and most importantly Emaad. As she found her friend talking to some of their batch mates Daniyah smiled and made their way towards them.

"Congratulations!" she beamed looking at everyone but didn't miss the slight scowl on Janaan's face which was soon replaced by a smile. Shrugging her thoughts away she talked with everyone for few more minutes and then excused herself and Janaan from the crowd.

"So finally we have the degree! No more early mornings!" Daniyah smiled starting a conversation but only got a nod from her friend. "Is everything okay, Jan? You are quiet!"

"I am having a headache!" she got a quick reply in a cold tone which made her frown.

"Okay! So let's treat this headache with a bit of ice-cream!" Daniyah winked ignoring the sour mood of her friend, "Where is that brother of yours?"

"Bhai is not here! And I have to go!" with that Janaan left, leaving Daniyah rooted to her place.

It wasn't until her mother patted her shoulders that she returned back to the ground of her university, her eyes burning with tears not only because of the cold behavior of her best friend but also the promise her fiancé broke. Janaan was distant from couple of months and no matter what Daniyah tried, things weren't getting better, first she blamed their hectic schedule, then the sudden proposal which came for Janaan but today there was nothing to be blamed.

"What happened, Dani?" She looked at her mother who was looking at her face carefully, reading her expressions.

"Nothing mumma! Just going to miss this place, let's go!" She lied wiping her tears and placing a smile on her face.

"But let's meet Emaad and rest of your in-laws first." Her mother said with a teasing smile which broke something inside her but she shook her head and made an excuse leading her mother away from the crowd.

Later that day when she was dressed in an embroidered mint green colored shalwar kameez, and her hair tied in a side lose braid with minimal make up and jewelry waiting for her family to gather for dinner to celebrate her graduation she was still lacking the smile and confident she always had, the coldness with which Janaan had treated her earlier was still messing with her calm demeanor, she wouldn't deny that after returning back home she called Janaan to figure out the matter, ready to apologize for whatever wrong she had done and when the attempts were fruitless she tried calling Emaad but eventually gave up thinking that maybe it was some personal issue they aren't ready to share with her and eventually both of the siblings would come around.