Chapter 37

"Phoenixes burst into flame when it is time for them to die and are reborn from the ashes"

-Dumbledore

"Come on my little Yousef smile for mama," her subtle laugh echoed in the room and was the first thing Davar heard as soon as he opened the door. His steps faltered and he took a deep breath, a trivial way of filling himself with courage.

The bleached room was flooded with bright sunlight, one thing that Karachi never lacked, a full sun, but this specific hospital room saw light after an eternity. The curtains were drawn apart, and a soft voice was filling up the room every now and then. 

"Daniyah," Davar softly spoke as he made himself visible and soon the coos that were initially filling up the room were silenced. He saw her putting her phone aside on which she was repeatedly watching the videos of her child. 

"Are you ready to leave?" He asked carefully, placing her files on the table. She was already changed in her clothes, her bags and belongings packed and placed neatly in front of her bed.

With a nod, Daniyah got up and soon Davar was by her side, "I can walk, Bhai, it's my face that has burned not my legs," she didn't want to sound bitter or cold but her own words seemed just that to herself. 

"I know you are very much capable of doing everything your own, I just," he broke his sentence and decided to move ahead picking her belongings and giving a last glance at the room to look if they might have missed anything.

"We'll be taking the back gate of the hospital," Davar said in a low voice again once they left the room, "there are still some cameras roaming around the front gate." He noticed Daniyah tensing up but silently led the way and soon they were securely sat in their car.

***

To Daniyah it felt like ages after she was returning back to her home, it scared her how it feels alienated to her. As the car drove inside the house and stopped at the porch she saw her parents standing outside to welcome her.

Daniyah could feel her heart speeding up, she didn't know what would she say to them.

Davar stopped her from getting out and started, "Dua and Azmarah left for the U.K. two days ago, they wanted to come and meet you but with cameras and police--"

"Bhai there is no need for any explanation. I understand, staying here would just bring them unnecessary pain and suffering. I know things will be messy and it's better we have fewer people around us when that mess is thrown at us." She sighed and picked her handbag to get out of the car.

With slow steps, she finally made her way towards her parents, who soon engulfed her in their arms and with comforting words she was led inside.

Lunch for the Shah family was a silent affair, the only noise was made by the clattering of the cutlery against each other. Her mother's extra effort in welcoming her could be seen on the dining table. 

"Daniyah, the lawyers would be coming in a few hours to meet you, they would be here to discuss the case. DIG Shehzad with a few of his people would also be coming---"

"Mohiuddin, I guess we can discuss this later, she has just returned from the hospital let her rest for a while." Farhana Shah decided to interject but her husband shook her head.