Chapter 24

EID MUBARAK TO ALL THOSE WHO CELEBRATED YESTERDAY AND ARE CELEBRATING TODAY!!!!! <3<3

~~~

"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves."

-Henry David Thoreau

"Come downstairs for breakfast." Daniyah looked at Emaad's back as he left the room after telling her about the first meal of the day, from past eight days they both had minimal amount of words exchanged between them, conversed when needed and the main reason behind it was that from early morning till past midnight Emaad was out with either his father, lawyers or police officers. In past eight days Daniyah spent as much time as she can with her mother-in-law who had been kind and loving but her own sorrow had made her weak.

Removing the towel from her hair, she ran a comb through them and then applying moisturizer on her pale skin she picked up a lip balm for her chapped lips. Dark circles were now covering a large portion under her eyes, she noticed her prominent collar bones, she surely had lost weight. Shrugging her thoughts away, she spread her dupatta across her shoulder and went to the door. Silence had been the permanent guest of Kirmani residence and was haunting every corner of the house. Daniyah made her way down the large staircase and past the living room to the dining room.

The three residents of the house were already there and the heavy silence was enveloping them, the spacious living room was filled with sunlight coming from the large French windows, Faisal Kirmani was sitting at the head of the table of 24 while Talat Kirmani was on his left and Emaad on right. While Emaad and Mrs. Kirmani had their eyes on their plates Mr. Kirmani was looking at his morning paper and sipping on his tea, two of the servants were standing at a distance on both side of the table.

Daniyah said her salam and got reply only from Mrs. Kirmani, in past eight days she also got accustomed of Faisal Kirmani's cold and harsh demeanor, her presence was not acknowledged and being born to a family of the same status if not less Daniyah felt the humiliation in her heart but not once she misbehaved because she feared their anger, the anger she knew would be worst than Emaad. Gradually she was growing numb to all the pain, at first Faisal Kirmani's behavior came as a shock which was rather opposite of his fatherly support when she became part of the family, a part of her heart would still yearn for the day when she would be accepted by them but in the current situation she felt selfish thinking in such a way.

Daniyah dragged the plush seat beside Emaad and sat, Mrs. Kirmani quickly pushed plates carrying food towards her and softly smiling Daniyah placed the food on her plate. Few seconds after joining her, Faisal Kirmani left the table and after a couple of minutes, Emaad followed him. They were again leaving the house, today both the men were going to their company but the search was still in process. Talat Kirmani sighed as they both were left alone, servants were sent back after men left the room. Daniyah quietly ate her food and fulfilled her hunger, which was surprisingly increasing from quite a few days or month she didn't know yet there was not much difference in her health.

"Daniyah," she looked up from her plate and met Mrs. Kirmani's eyes, "I am going to leave in an hour or two I have been called by the doctor—"

"Mama, should I come along with you?"

"No beta, it's going to take me quite a while so stay at home and I'm taking Rani with me, I didn't want to go but the doctor called me for my check up."

"Mama, you should go your health is important," Talat Kirmani sighed as a bitter smile took place on her face.

"The only thing which ever mattered to me in this house were my children and now," Mrs. Kirmani looked around the dining room, her eyes remembering all the happy moments she had spent with her kids under the roof as tears started glistening in them. Getting up Daniyah joined her on the opposite side and spread her arms across Talat Kirmani.