Chapter 33

"Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."

-Marilyn Monroe

He was weak, so delicate, so soft and so pure. His skin was more pink than white making it felt transparent, and due to being born before the due date he was admitted in NICU, in the small incubator lying in the centre his bare body was attached to wires and tubes. They haven't even let her take her own child, the dream of having him in her arms was yet to be filled, all she could do was to touch him with her hands through the space provided and with multiple stitches it was unbearably painful for her to sit longer by his side.

But he has responded to her first touch, hours after being born, when she finally had gained her consciousness, she has begged all the people around her to let them meet and after hysterical sobbing which was shooting up her blood pressure she was allowed. Her heartbeat was rising as her wheelchair neared the doors leading to the multiple NICUs, he was in the second room, incubator number 14. When she entered the room there was already a baby crying and doctors were attending it, the feeling 'why the baby is not calm?' soon turned to 'that baby is going to wake up mine.' She wanted to laugh but all the thoughts were dismissed as soon as she was wheeled right in front of him.

There he was, right there in front of her own eyes, the one she had only felt in past few month was sleeping peacefully.

"He will struggle breathing and feeding but you have got quite a fighter there, Daniyah." The pediatrician whispered from beside her. "He was screaming and kicking till we put him here and fed him, he had the entire team running," she softly chuckled and Daniyah stopped herself from breaking, her cheeks were already drenched with tears.

"What are you going to name him?"

"'I am not sure yet," she had replied, and it was the first time he had heard her voice and moved, bringing his tiny fist to his face he rubbed it. "Can... Can I touch him?" fear, concern, and anxiety was lacing her voice.

"Go ahead!"

Raising her shaking hands, she let them meet him, and he squirmed under her touch, her heart stopped, her fingers halted as her son recognized her.

She could breath again, her baby was here, he would be okay.

"I love you," she had whispered and he had blinked his eyes.

"I love you," his lips gave the faintest of smiles.

"I love you," she choked and he blinked.

"I'll protect you forever." And he closed his eyes.

***

Armed men surrounded the buildings of the hospital, security guards lined up the corridors, the cars queued up in front of the main gate. Suited in the dark brown suit he walked firmly towards the corridor leading to VIP room, room number 507 where his wife was. With straight face he took turns as his assistant briefed him, they reached the door and his steps halted. There were whispers behind the closed doors and he knew someone was about to open it. Taking a deep breath Emaad shunned his thoughts as his fingers closed around the door knob.

"Emaad," his mother-in-law was the person which came in his sight, her surprised tone sparked sentiments in him which he didn't like much.

Was he not expected? He is here to meet his son!

"Asalam O Alikum," he found his voice turning into ice and moved ahead, a small smile covered Mrs. Shah's face as she softly replied and turned back, disposing the idea of leaving the room. Emaad slowly followed her lead further into the room which was coloured with sky blue shades, and light grey curtains decorating the windows.