eleven

Daniel

The sky was black, accompanied by a few puffy grey clouds. Rain dripped down from above and I muttered. I pulled my hoodie over my head and walked through a long deserted alleyway, my hands swaying by my sides. Around me were old apartments, a dumpster, and lots of scattered trash.

Joey walked far behind me, sipping on a tall cup of mango juice. He was so casual about the fact that he was going to watch me find a victim to kill. Honestly if he hadn't insisted on coming along, I would've just lied and said I killed someone when I really didn't. But now that he was with me, I had no choice.  A part of me wanted to turn him in but I was in too deep. I was falling for him and it was going against all my judgements.

Finally after walking around, I spotted someone huddled against a broken shopping cart with cardboard covering his head, shielding himself from the rain.

I glanced at Joey behind me, who nodded excitedly. "He's the one," he lipped silently.

I crunched up my face and felt my bottom lip trembling. The man, a few feet away, didn't even notice us until I stood right in front of him.

D: H-Hey

I squeaked. He looked up at me and we locked eyes. He looked exhausted, like he hadn't slept in months. His eyes were sunken and had purple rings around them. His face was really thin and his cheeks sunk into his skin. He was probably in his mid 40's.

His hands were shaking as he held the cardboard above his head; actually his whole body was.

X: Is something the matter

He asked, teeth chattering vigorously. 

Joey kissed me on the cheek before taking a step back and putting his hands in his pocket.

J: You got this baby

I don't know where it came from, but a rush of intensity and energy shot through me like a bolt of lightening. I
grabbed the homeless guy by his ratty brown coat and pushed him against the wall. I was determined to prove myself to Joey, determined to be part of him.

X: Wha-

I punched him in the stomach three times before he doubled over and fell to the ground. I kicked him in the ribs until the man started crying. He was defenceless.

X: S-stop

My foot collided with his nose and I saw blood spurt out of it.

X: Please

X: Have mercy

X: Help

X: Help

Joey laughed as he stood beside me.

J: You're doing amazing. Finish him off Derek

X: I'm begging you

The man wailed pitifully, hugging himself as he lay in fetal position. With 3 stomps to his head, a cracking sound erupted as his skull connected to the concrete. Then his eyes shut and his body stopped shaking.

Joey gasped and pushed shoulders excitedly.

J: You did it, you killed him! That was awesome babe

Looking down at the lifeless person at my feet, blood flowing from his nose and tears that stained his face, a sudden wave of realization washed over me. My chest was tightening. A hard lump was growing inside my throat and breathing was becoming difficult to do.

D: Oh god

I breathed, backing away, hand clutching my heart.

D: Wha-what have I done

The intensity that overtook my body had long withered away and I was left with nothing but searing guilt that ripped me apart.

D: What the fuck!

Hot tears filled my eyes and streamed out within seconds. My heart pounded wildly amidst the burn in my chest.

J: Baby just relax

Joey tried to wrapped his arms around me but I shoved him hard, causing him to nearly fall backwards.

He looked at me in confusion.

J: Derek what's wrong?

D: What's wrong?

I scoffed in disbelief.

D: What's wrong? I killed someone!

I swallowed hard, wincing at the pain in my throat.

J: It's okay, I've done it before too. It isn't the worst thing in the world. And besides, didn't you want to prove your loyalty to me? This was the way to do it

D: No it wasn't. There were other ways

J: Like?

I looked down at my hands. They used to be just ordinary hands but now they were something of power, something I misused when I shouldn't have.

I turned around and stormed off in the direction we came from. The rain was splashing on my face and I wiped it with my already wet sleeve.

J: Derekkkkk

Joey yanked my arm and spun me around. I pulled my arm off and got right in his face, nose to nose.

D: Don't fucking touch me!

I screamed.

D: You're insane. . .y-you're sick! You made me do this!

Joey's eyes widened.

D: You stay the hell away from me, you got that? Stay away

Joey was at a loss for words. His baby blue eyes washed over to a dull, glassy blank stare.

J: I-I. . .

I glared at the younger boy and crossed my arms. My mind ran at a hundred miles per second.

With a long sigh, Joey silently walked away into the darkness of the night.