twenty eight

Joey

Preston and I walked to the motel as the moon appeared. The night was cold but this time I had on a thick navy blue coat, so I was fine. We had spent the whole day shopping for clothes downtown and we grabbed dinner at a sushi place.

I wish Derek could have came too but he said he had to visit his brother in the hospital. My poor baby looked so worried at the kitchen table this morning and I hoped he'd be okay. 

We walked inside the motel; Preston going in our room as I knocked on Derek's door. There was no answer. I knocked some more and still got nothing. He must still be with his brother. I pouted, missing Derek a lot and wanting to be with him.

I walked back in my room and joined Preston on the couch. He flipped through channels before stopping on the live news channel.

"Ew change this," I said. "Only old people watch the news."

Preston ignored me and settled back in the couch, putting his feet up on the coffee table. A reporter stood in the middle of a closed-off intersection that was surrounded by yellow police tape.

Cars had to go around another route to get by and the reporter had a grim look on her face.

"A car accident has occurred here in the heart of New York City around 4:45 pm today. A young man was driving dangerously beyond the speed limit and witnesses say they saw another vehicle, a dark red one, bump into him, causing him to lose control. At this point, the young driver's car had skidded into the intersection and a woman's vehicle collided with his, causing extreme damage to both cars."

A view of a dark grey car appeared and it was visibly destroyed. All of the windows had been shattered and had shards of glass sticking out from all directions. The door was completely gone and blood had pooled off the car seats, creating a red puddle on the ground.

"That's sickening. That person does not stand a chance," I shuddered, feeling goosebumps crawl on my skin.

"The unidentified young man was seen to be in critical condition as two ambulances came to take both him and the woman to St. Mary's Hospital. The other man who'd bumped into the victim has been identified as Shane Dawson, and he has been taken to a police station for questioning."

My mouth dropped open and I was stunned. This couldn't be real.

"Are you okay Joey?" Preston asked, looking at me from his seat.

"Shane Dawson?!" I yelled, shooting up from the couch. "That son of a bitch!"

"Uhhh who's that?" Preston said with a confused look. I threw my arms in the air and rushed to the door, grabbing my jacket from the closet.

"He tried blackmailing Derek for 20 grand and I think he crashed his car!"
I shrieked, yanking the car keys off a table.

"Calm down Joey, we don't know if he did or not. That 'young male victim' could be anyone," Preston said.

"But it could also be Derek!"

I slammed the door behind me and ran to my car, shoving the keys in the ignition. I sped to St. Mary's hospital, all the while enraged and afraid. What the fuck did Shane do to him? Was Derek seriously injured? What if he lost his arms and legs? What if--no. Hot tears flooded my eyes and I refused to let them fall.

I arrived at the huge white building in 20 minutes and parked my car in front. Only ambulances were allowed to be here but I didn't give a fuck, the other parking lot was too far. I ran and burst through the hospital doors, whipping my head left to right before spotting a receptionist down the hallway.

"I'm looking for Derek!" I wheezed, trying to catch my breath. My face felt red hot. The receptionist frowned as he scanned a paper.

"Umm, there are no Derek's in the hospital," he clarified.

"Yes there is!" I exclaimed, growing impatient. "He got in a bad car accident a couple hours ago and I need to see him now."

The receptionist glanced down at the paper again and smiled.

"Ohhh, I believe you mean Daniel. Yes, he is on the third floor."

"Daniel?"
I repeated, completely dumbfounded.
"Daniel who?"

"Daniel Preda, a twenty-two year old police officer from Boston."