eighteen

Joey

I slipped out of Derek's embrace as he lay asleep on the couch and I stuffed my wallet in my pocket. Then I quietly walked out of his motel room, shutting the door slowly after me. I walked into my own room in the hopes of finding Preston but he went out somewhere.

Sighing, I sat down and waited on the couch for his return. Without bothering to turn on the television, I gazed into blank space as I thought about what had happened an hour ago. Derek was so reluctant about me robbing the Denny's and I didn't know why. If it was anyone else I wouldn't have listened but it was Derek and he was special to me.

I don't know if that made me a softy but I did care about what he had to say. When he was begging me, I could see a sense of genuine fear coming from him. It was in his eyes and in the pleading tone of his voice. I understood where he was coming from, but I was too sleek, too good to ever get caught.
Oh well. I'll skip out this one time if it gave Derek a peace of mind. Come to think of it, he worried too much. About everything. I'd tell Preston the chance in plans whenever he came back. I knew he wouldn't be pleased but whatever. Derek came first.

> > >

P: So you're telling me you're skipping out on our plan just because Darrell doesn't want you to?

J: Derek. His name is Derek, idiot

P: Whatever. Joey what the hell? You've known me what, a year-almost two? And you're gonna ditch me and our job for some guy you've known for like two weeks?

J: Gimme a break Pres

I shrugged, still sitting on the couch. By now I had a bowl of grapes next to me.

J: It's just this one time. It's not like we're gonna go broke if we skip a single robbery. We're stacked man

Preston tilted his head to the side, thinking of what I had just said.

P: Okay fine, you're right. But just this once! I don't want you to get lazy

J: When have I ever been lazy?

I asked, grinning.

P: You have your moments

Preston squinted at me with his eyebrows arched and a large frown.
We stared at each other for a moment before we burst into laughter and Preston sat next to me on the couch.

I picked up my bowl and held it to
him, to which he picked off a branch of grapes.

P: I hate grapes

J: Then why'd you take some

P: I need a snack okay

I smirked and shook my head. He was so difficult sometimes. I popped a crunchy purple grape in my mouth. Its sweet juice spurted across my taste buds and it was so good that I made a mental reminder to eat more fruit.

Daniel

I expected for Joey to be in my arms when I awoke around 4 pm but he wasn't there. That kid was so unpredictable. What was he up to now? Without anything else to do, I walked on over to his room and knocked on the door. Preston answered and he rolled his eyes once he saw me.

P: Oh, it's you. Joeyy that guy is here

He was one miserable jerk. He walked off and I let myself in to see Joey in the living room. He was laughing at a show on tv until he noticed me standing there. His face broke into an even bigger smile and he patted at the seat next to him. Once I sat down, he instantly offered me a bowl of grapes which I refused. I leaned my head against his shoulder. I took his hand in mine and caressed his thumb, feeling its warmth and baby soft smoothness.