twenty three

Joey

It was 8pm when Preston and I pulled into the parking lot and stepped out of my car. The sky was black and the motel was the only source of light; glowing with its neon green sign.

I was slightly shivering in my brown hoodie as I walked to the low brick building. The weather was getting cold now. I liked cold weather but I hated robbing joints when it was snowing. The snow would keep my footprints everywhere and I had to be more careful.

P: Derek's going to love your gift

J: I hope so

I gave him a tiny smile. We walked inside the motel and Preston went in our room, shutting the door behind him. I made sure Derek's velvet, navy blue gift box stayed put in the pocket of my jeans before I knocked on his door.

D: Who is it?

Derek's voice asked from the other side of the door. That was strange, he would always just open it.

J: Uh its Joey

The door flung open and Derek pulled me into his room, closed the door, and drew me into a great big hug. His arms held me tightly and his face was buried in my neck. I could feel the hot tears flowing from his eyes as it trailed down my skin. He cried silently, his body shook and I rubbed his back and planted stray kisses on tear-stained cheek until the crying stopped.

Derek let go of me and wiped his face with his sleeve. His beautiful jade green eyes were red and his nose was running. Still, he managed to look breath taking.

J: What happened baby?

I finally said, breaking the silence. He turned away and went to our bedroom. I followed him and watched as he sat on the bed, looking down at his hands.

J: Do you want to talk about it?

I said softly, sitting on my knees and looking up at his face. He nodded, taking my hands in his.

D: Umm, yeah. Well I don't know how to say this but I'm b-being blackmailed

Anger shot through my body in an instant.

J: By who?!

I said, jumping up. Derek looked up at me with fear on his face.

D: He-he wants 20 thousand dollars from me. He says if I don't do it, he'll break us up

J: Tell me who he is baby

Derek's teeth chattered and his body was shaking.

D: S-Shane

I frowned and threw my hands in the air.

J: I knew it! I knew that weird bastard was up to something. What dirt does he got on you?

Tears streamed down poor Derek's face again and my heart was aching for him. I hurt me seeing him so scared. I took his face in my hands and wiped the tears away with my thumb.

J: It's okay Derek, don't cry. He's not gonna do shit

D: How do you know?

J: Because no one fucks with my baby

I earned a small smile from Derek. He looked so small.

J: Where is Shane right now?

D: I have no idea

I sighed.

J: We'll talk more about this tomorrow morning, okay? Just relax for now

I cupped his face with my hands, bringing him close and connecting my lips to his soft full ones. We kissed slowly for minutes, tasting sweetness and feeling the raw passion we had for one another.

Once we parted, Derek was calm now. His face had become serious and he caressed my cheek.

D: I love you Joey

My heart nearly stopped.

J: Y-you do?

D: I'd be lying if I said I didn't

My heart was pumping and I could feel his fixed gaze on me.

Wordlessly, I reached in the pocket of my jeans and took out my gift.

Daniel

Joey sat on his knees and held a small velvet box in his hands. My mouth hung open.

D: What is that?

I said, feeling a huge grin appear on my face. My heart beat with excitement.

J: I wanted to get something that shows how much you mean to me

He slowly opened the box. Within seconds I was looking at a stunning silver bracelet, embellished with a series of tiny diamonds across the middle. It sparkled like crazy.

D: Whoa

I gasped, holding my heart.

D: It's beautiful, Joey

Tears pricked my eyes once again. I was touched. He carefully took out the bracelet and I held my right wrist out. He clasped it around and it fit perfectly. We looked at each other in a wonderful, comfortable silence and I gazed into his bright blue eyes. They glistened much brighter than any diamond in the world and flecks of gold surrounded the blue base, pupils dilating as he gazed back at me.

"I never thought love would be a thing for me but. . .but. . I love you too."

Joey's whisper caused butterflies to explode in my chest. I connected my lips with his and poured out my soul with every inch of my being. Joey smiled, his cheeks pink and his sweet face glowing. We crawled under the covers and cuddled for a long time, Joey whispering sweet nothings in my ear all night.