22. Onto the Broken Road

Warning, pertaining to Jessica's past, there is some dark things ahead.

Jessica's POV

Niall snapped, I didn't expect him to but it was understandable; Maddie was being her self and it was pissing him off. But in the way that he snapped, it scared me. It reminded me of my past, causing me to shrink down away from my friend and whimper softly.

He was going to hit me, I thought backing away from Niall. He seemed to notice my change of mood and tried to apologize. I squeaked an apology myself and ran for my car.

"No wait, Jessica!" He yelled after me but I blocked out everything he was saying. I had to get away from him and my past before it was too late.

But I would never be able to complete that wish no matter how hard I tried.

I backed up from my spot and almost ran over Niall as he stood in front of my car. And unless I actually DID want to run him over, I quickly motioned him to move. "But Jess..." he started but I honked the horn, I really had to get out of here before it started.

"No Niall, I know you are sorry," bull to the absolute shit but I still took a shaky breath and released it just as unstable. "But I j-just can't." I whispered before I sped away.

I don't even know how I got to my apartment without crashing or even getting a ticket; I was emotionally, physically and mentally a wreck. The flashbacks of my past were starting up again, little scenes were replaying in my head. It made me sick to my stomach and I ran to my bathroom to empty the contents of my stomach.

This was a normal occurrence when the day mares that I used to call my life returned. I crawled to my bedroom and pushed myself up onto my bed right before the flashbacks and darkness consumed me completely.

When I woke up, I was in my parents' house, and I gulped and shivered. If this was what I thought I was, this was the worse of the day mares; as I call them since they've occurred in the day for as long as this has destroyed my life.

"Jessica, could you come here please?" I heard and felt myself rise and walk out of the room. Those words changed my life, forever and not for the better. I slowly came down the stairs, only being 14 years old; I didn't know much. I was just starting high school with my friends and I was so damn naïve. In the living room my mom stood there with a man I had never seen before. I was scared; he looked like Garret a little.

"Jessica, sweetie, do you remember this man?" My mom said. I shook my head quickly. The man and my mom walked over to me and the man kneels down a little to look me in the face. I was and still am a small girl, only weighing pounds just shy of 90 pounds.

"Jessica this is your father." My mom said and I just stared at the man. This was the guy who left us when me and Garret we were 3 years old. He just packed up his things and left us. Tears pricked at my eyes. I had hated this man for so long and now he was finally standing in front of me.

"What do you want to say to your father, after all these years, Jess?"

I looked him in the eye. "I hate you." I spat and ran upstairs. I heard footsteps following me so I threw on my hoodie as fast as I could and left via the window. I jumped down to the ground just as I heard someone open the bedroom door. That's also when I bolted, my fight or flight instinct kicking in.

I ran as fast as I could to the town hospital, where Garret was battling the brain cancer. I choked back a sob when I realized he wasn't going to get better, it's already been three years and he's still sick. Well sicker than he was when he was diagnosed.

I entered the hospital in record time; the nurses knew me by name now and led me straight to his room. I walked into the door and sighed as he was sleeping peacefully, something he hasn't been able to do in a long time.