42. Waiting For Superman

Niall's POV

The next week, everyone was still buzzing about the talent show and seemed to be reliving everything that happened. All the girls in the school were crowded around the Australian exchange students; they were signing autographs and generally seemed to be having a good time.

I noticed how some people were avoiding Harry as he walked through the halls, eventually plopping himself next to me by the tree in the courtyard. He looked so drained so I didn't say anything as he gently rested his head on my shoulder and fell asleep.

I still couldn't believe that the boy sitting and sleeping next to me was gay. It was like a dream come true on Saturday. I could no longer stay mad at Harry when I found out that that was the big secret that Maddie mentioned. I mean I respect him for coming out when he was ready.

I hated that I still haven't apologized to him, for the fight and accusing him for keeping secrets. Why was I such a terrible friend? I almost put my head in my hands but I knew that if I moved in the slightest, Harry would fall.

So I was stuck in this position until the bell rang, which is when he woke up. He yawned like a proper kitten and his eyes met mine lazily.

"Erm... sorry Ni." He mutters and moves his head. I shrug and slowly get up, helping him up when I'm steady.

"Its fine Haz, you looked like you needed it." I gave him a small smile and began walking towards first period. I feel two arms wrap around me from behind and I don't even have to turn around to know its Harry. I feel my cheeks heat up but thankfully, Harry lets go and I go to class.

The day goes by rather fast, pretty soon we're all sitting by the grand oak tree in the courtyard, just chatting and eating. I've got Harry on my left side and Louis on my right. Louis is talking to Liam who has Ashley on the other side of him. Next to her were Sam and then Jessica. Zayn and Lily were on the other side of harry and we pretty much sat in a circle with our backs to the tree.

"It's the circle of friends!" I sang and heard Jessica and Ashley giggling in the middle of their conversations.

"JAKE!!" I heard Sam screech and chuckled. I looked over at harry and he was struggling to hold in a laugh too, it was no secret that Sam had a huge crush on the shy boy; I'm just surprised he hasn't been scared off yet. The group was loud and almost always getting into some sort of trouble.

Lunch comes and goes and soon it's the end of the day. As I walk to my car, I pass Jessica who is sitting by the oak tree, hunched over something and writing furiously. I watch as she suddenly stops and opens her mouth to sing. Out of her mouth come the most beautiful and calming notes I've ever heard, as I listen to the lyrics, I had a feeling I knew who they were about.

I hum the lyrics that I've heard and head to my car, waiting for another day to end and the next one to start.

Jessica's POV

"She's talking to angels
counting the stars
making a wish on passing cars
she's dancing with strangers
she's falling apart
waiting for superman to pick her up
in his arms, yeah
in his arms, yeah"

"I didn't know you were a frequent songwriter." Louis stepped out of the overhanging branches of the oak tree, effectively scaring the crap out of me. It was the end of the school day and I was just sitting by the oak tree in the courtyard.

"I didn't know you liked to stalk random girls in their quiet time," I smirked and he laughed. "You learn something new every day. So what's up? Why are you here?"

"I could as you the same thing."

"I'm waiting for the kid that I tutor; I'm allowed to be here."