50. The Truth Comes Out

~|One can never fill another's shoes rather than he must outgrow the old shoes|~

Niall's POV

When I come into focus, everything is dark and my head is absolutely killing me. I let out a groan which results in someone hugging me so tightly that I couldn't breathe. Someone kisses my forehead as I look up, reveal those lovely green eyes that I've come to love.

As I smile at Harry, he is looking over my shoulder at a frightening sight. Zayn and Liam were struggling, they were trying to hold back a hooded figure as it seems like he was heading for me. I grip onto Harry's arm a little tighter.

I've seen the figure before, as realization washes over me in waves, it's not until Liam and Zayn suddenly let go when I feel true fear. My mind is racing, my breathing harbored. Harry holds a protective arm over me, squeezing when the figure takes a step towards them.

It's not until the figure has raised his hands over his hand that Niall relaxes, and even then his sudden contentment is ripped away the moment the figure snaps his hood back, revealing a skinny face that causes everyone to gasp loudly. Including Harry.

The guy, who looks no older than Harry himself, takes in the scene of the crowd. His eyes roam around until they rest onto our general area. He then smiles and I hear Harry suck in a breath. He walks over to us, as if there was no danger whatsoever and he belonged there.

I soon understood why no one was moving when he caught sight of Jessica, opening his arms wide for the girl.

"Danny," she whispered in the dead silent room. You could almost hear a needle drop as well as my gut as I looked at the guy who single handedly ruined Harry all those years ago. He claps a hand on Harry's shoulder as Jessica makes a beeline for him, hugging him tightly.

"Thanks for the honorable mention bro. I really appreciate it." Harry unfreezes almost immediately, smiling up at Danny as if nothing ever happened.

"Dude what happened to you? We all thought you were dead!" Louis exclaims, others nodding their heads accordingly. Danny goes to open his mouth when he catches sight of me. I'm still on the floor, resting on my side with Harry kind of snuggling me in his lap.

"I just needed some time to think to myself is all?"

"Four bloody years you needed?!" Harry finally speaks, his voice visibly cracking and I squeeze his shoulder. Danny sighs, regret and guilt flooding his icy grey eyes.

 "You've changed bro, you changed big time." And I realize that Harry is correct, all the pictures that I've seen is of Danny being a complete blonde. His hair was longer, more coarse and a deep rich chocolate brown.

"What actually happened to you?" Zayn asks, everyone looking expectantly at him, causing him to shift uncomfortably. This did not seem like the confident guy that I've heard so much about that I could puke.

"I know this seems bad but I faked my death. " He looks straight at Jessica when he says this, the girl was pretty much in tears.

"Why?" I finally speak up. Danny stares at him, then at Harry, and then finally at our conjoined hands. I wasn't sure what he was thinking, only gulped and proceeded to answer my question. Turns out, he's always lived near town. Dying his hair so that no one would recognize him and getting rid of those tacky braces, he turned from complete nerd to attractive jerk. I don't like the way that he's looking so fondly at Harry.

"I wanted to see how everyone and everything was this year, I still can't believe that Louis actually acted on his feelings for little Jessica here." Danny ruffles Louis's hair and pulls Jessica into another hug. It's only then that I notice something particular.