Chapter 4

We arrived at the restaurant before my mom and Luke.  Logan ordered some champagne and sparkling cider for me.  I suggested he order some beer for Luke.  I know for a fact that Luke is not a fan of champagne!  I spotted my mom approaching before I saw Luke.  He followed just behind my mom.  Logan immediately stood up to greet them.  He extended a hand to Luke, who reciprocated the gesture.  Much to my surprise, Lorelai hugged Logan.  Did she have a change of heart?  I stood up and hugged her.  She held me tight and whispered, "You're my only offspring and I want you happy."

What had gotten into her?  This didn't feel like the same woman with whom I just fought with on the phone last night.  I felt less pressure and it definitely made this dinner much easier.  Before the waiter came back, Logan proposed a toast to celebrate.  He included mom and Luke's nuptials in the speech.  We were celebrating all of us, not just me and him (and our little one).  As I suspected, Luke was thankful for the beer.  Logan and I started going over our plans.  We laid it out for them.

"Have you told my mother about any of this?" Lorelai queried.  "She's going to blow a gasket when she finds out you are pregnant.  You know that, don't you, Rory?"

"I'm hoping that the wedding will help appease her in that sense.  We want to have it at the big house."

"Lorelai, I think it would be in our best interests to go see Emily in Nantucket as soon as this weekend.  Would you like to come along?" Logan asked my mom.

"Oh, I want to be there when you tell her Rory's pregnant.  Her only grandchild is knocked up just like me!  I will be sitting in the front row with popcorn for this show!" She replied, jokingly.

"Mom!  I hope she doesn't take it like she took your news 33 years ago!  Logan and I are getting married and I'm not 16!" I retorted, smiling at her.  "So, you two will come with us?  There's strength in numbers....."

Mom looked at Luke who nodded in agreement.  "Of course we'll be there.  Now if you'll excuse me, I need to powder my nose."

"I'll come with you, Mom." I replied.  I wanted to find out what was going on.  Why was she suddenly happy about all of this?

When we were out of ear shot I asked, "Mom, what happened?  Yesterday, you were yelling at me about this.  Today, you are good with it?"

"Rory, I had some time to think about all of this.  You, the baby, Logan, and I came to the conclusion that I don't want to lose you.  I don't want this to be the thing that separates us.  I want my best friend, not just my daughter.  You and Logan have always had a connection.  At first I didn't like it, and the whole engaged to another woman ordeal didn't help my opinion, but he's getting it together.  It took a heart attack for him to find the moxie to tell his dad what he wanted, but he did it.  He's becoming is own man, and I respect that.  I just want you to be happy, Rory, and if Logan is it, I'm behind you!  I love you, kid!"

I was nearly in tears.  Emotion, hormones, and happiness overwhelmed me.  I hugged her.  "Thank you, Mom.  This means so much to me!"

"Hey, kid, don't cry!  You'll mess up your mascara!  Let's get you into the bathroom to fix it," she said as she wrapped an arm around my shoulder, guiding me into the ladies' room.

Fifteen minutes later, we emerged, make-up repaired and smiles on our faces.  We walked back to the table as she told me the story about Kirk, Petal, and LuLu.  I was laughing so hard, I nearly began crying again.  Logan smiled at me.  He knew things were good now and we could move forward with our plan.  The rest of dinner was uneventful.

After dinner (and, of course, dessert), we went our separate ways.  Logan offered mom and Luke a hotel room, but they had to get back for work in the morning.  We planned to meet on Friday to go out to Nantucket together.  Things were right on track.  Our next mission:  Emily Gilmore!