Chapter 19

"Odette? Like that Odette?"

"What the hell is my mother doing here with her?" Logan looked completely stunned. Some color had come back to his face, but I could see he was still in shock.

"I thought your mom was warming up to the idea of us. At least that's the impression I got when we were dress shopping for the wedding. She even insisted on buying my dress. Was she playing me too?"

Logan was engrossed in his phone. He seemed to be furiously texting someone.

"Logan?"

"Oh, sorry, I was texting Honor to see if she knows anything. She's usually up-to-date with Mom's business. I'm hoping she can help solve this mystery. Where's Robert Stack when you need him?"

"I'm pretty sure he's dead," I said, half-heartedly.

Logan's phone buzzed. It was Honor.

"She had no idea Mom was going to be in Paris or that she was still in contact with Odette. I thought the whole thing was behind us," Logan said. "I'm so sorry. I could make a few calls and see if we can't get in somewhere else. I know it's short notice on a Saturday night, but throwing out the Huntzberger name usually gets you just about anything you want...." his voice trailed off.

"I don't blame you at all. I saw the color drain from your face. I just get the feeling that something is going on that you don't know about. As much as I hate to suggest it, maybe you should ask your dad....." I said, a little worried about his reaction. "And if staying here is too much for you, I'm ok going somewhere else. Just not too far because this baby is about to eat me from the inside if I don't get some food soon," I said, with a small laugh.

"I think you're right about talking to my dad. He always knows what's going on everywhere. Even though he's supposed to be taking it easy, he's got someone filling him in every single day," Logan replied with the slightest of smiles.

I could see this was really bothering him. I've only seen him look like this one other time and that was when he dropped me off after the dreadful dinner with his family. I saw the same look on his face when he left me near my dorm room. I glanced over to their table, but they were gone. Where were they? I started to panic a little.

"Logan, where did they go?" I whispered.

His eyes darted around the room rapidly, trying to spy their whereabouts. He was searching frantically. I was looking all over to no avail.

"Are they gone?" I asked.

"I don't see them-"

"Logan, Rory, I didn't think I'd see you here. Aren't you two supposed to be in Hamburg for your honeymoon?" Shira interrupted, appearing out of nowhere.

We were both startled. This time it was the color draining from my face. I was hoping she didn't notice us in the corner. We were far enough out of the way, yet here she was, standing in front of us.

"Well, our plans changed and here we are. What are you doing here, Mom?" he replied.

"Oh, the girls and I decided to have a little ladies' weekend in Paris," she said, lying through her teeth to us. "Don't let me spoil your night! I know the last person anyone wants to see on their honeymoon is a parent. I'll leave you to your dinner. Hope you have a wonderful evening. Goodbye, Logan, Rory," Shira said as she waved and exited.

We sat in stunned silence for a moment as we waited for Shira to completely leave our vicinity. What had I just witnessed? Did she really stand there and tell us a bold-faced lie?!