Chapter 29

Friday night had arrived.  This was the night Grandma was coming over for dinner.  I didn't think I could be any more nervous than I already was, but with each passing moment, the panic grew.  She was going to flip when she sees what we've done with the place.  Our tastes were vastly different.  I was still trying to wrap my head around the fact this was our house now, not hers.  I ran around trying to make sure everything was just right.  I was thankful for the cleaning service we scheduled to come in once a week.  This place was far too big to take care of on my own, and considering I could barely go up and down the stairs, it was definitely needed.  We hired Louis, a private chef, to come in a few days a week to cook for us.  He was a genius in the kitchen.  I used him more when Logan was out of town, since I had zero kitchen skills.  Thankfully, Louis was cooking tonight!

The doorbell rang and Logan went to answer it.  I was getting slower and slower on the move.  Lane said I was starting the waddling stage.  I can't imagine what she went through with two inside of her at once!  I met Logan and Grandma in the living room.  She was looking around in awe, at least I think it was awe.  It was hard to tell because she hadn't said anything besides a generic greeting.

"Grandma," I welcomed her and attempted to give her a hug.

"Rory, you look radiant.  Pregnancy suits you," she said, complimenting me.

"Emily, please have a seat," Logan said motioning to the couch.  "Can I get you a drink?"

"Thank you, Logan.  I'll have a martini," she replied, still looking around.

"What do you think, Grandma?  I know it's different than you had it, but do you like it?"

"If I didn't know better, I'd think this wasn't the same house!  It has a much younger and relaxed feel to it," she said.  She took an extra moment and smiled.  "I like it!"

"Really?  I was afraid you'd hate it because it's so different.  I'm so relieved," I replied.

"It's a perfect place to raise your family," she said with a smile as she took her drink from Logan.  "I always knew you two would end up together.  It was written in the stars."

This is definitely not the reaction I was expecting from her.  Grandma had really mellowed.  Or she was covering disappointment well.  I wasn't in the mood to push or argue.  I wanted a simple Friday night dinner.  Ask, and ye shall receive.  She loved the pot roast dinner and the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies a la mode.  That's what the baby had been craving, so I went with it.  I don't know why I had been so nervous.

Grandma spent the night and left the next morning for Stars Hollow.  She was having lunch with Mom at the Dragonfly before heading back to Nantucket.  I called Mom after Grandma left to fill her in.  She couldn't believe it either.

Tonight was Logan's turn.  While I wasn't exactly jumping for joy that Shira and Mitchum were coming over, it was significantly less stressful for me.  I think I've just gotten to the point where I'm going to be me.  I was raised to be kind, polite, and respectful.  Logan and I don't need their approval to live our lives.  I'm ok with this, but I don't think Logan has had this epiphany yet.  Hopefully, tonight won't be a disaster.

"Are you ok, Logan?"

"No....yeah....do we really have to do this, Ace?"

"I think it will be good for all of us.  I don't want your parents to miss out on Little Ace's growing up like my father's parents did for me.  I met them once and they were horrible to me and Mom.  It was hurtful and wrong.  I never had the chance to get to know them, and they never wanted to know me.  While the circumstances are a bit different, I don't want the same outcome," I confessed.