Chapter 35

The following day, our house was buzzing with activity.  Grandma headed back to Nantucket last night.  The maid service busily scurried around the house readying it for dinner tonight.  Around ten the doorbell rang.  Logan opened the door to find an unbelievably excited Finn.

"Finn, what are you doing here?  You realize it's well before dinner, and the sun is up," Logan said, laughing.

"I hadn't noticed," he said, pushing his way past Logan.  "Where's that beautiful niece of mine?"

Finn came into the living room, where I was sitting on the couch.  I looked a mess as I hadn't had a shower and was up several times with Emma.  I'm not sure he noticed me, as he headed straight for the bassinet.

"Hi, Finn," I said.  "I'd appreciate it if you didn't wake Emma right now.  I just got her to sleep, and was going to take the opportunity to shower."

Finn stopped dead in his tracks, and turned around.  A definite look of disappointment on his face told me all I needed to know.

"Finn, I'm sorry, but I just got her to sleep.  You'll undoubtedly be one of the first to hold her," I said, in hopes of quelling the dissatisfaction.

"One of the first?" he questioned.

"Well, I will probably be the first.  Chances are the baby will be hungry and/or in need of a diaper change," I replied.

"Mother knows best," he responded giving me a little smile.  "Uncle Finn definitely does not change diapers."

"I thought so.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make myself more presentable."

"Darling, you are as lovely as ever," Finn said, kissing me on the forehead.

"Save the sweet talk, Finn.  I really do need a shower," I replied, smiling at him.  I left Finn and Logan in the living room and went upstairs to take a shower.

I turned on the shower and let it run for a couple of minutes.  I took off my clothes, and climbed into the shower.  I let the water run across my body, refreshing me.  I breathed in the steam, and turned around to let the water run through my hair.  Who knew a shower could feel so good?  I looked down at my body.  This was the first time I'd paid much attention to me in days.  I hadn't really noticed the changes.  My chest was very large, and my stomach was covered in stretch marks.  I was thankful it wasn't nearly as large as it had been just a few days ago, but it was not the same flat surface it once was.  I finished my shower and made myself presentable.

I went back downstairs, hoping Emma was still sleeping.  I found Logan and Finn were no longer the only people here.  Colin and Robert had the same idea as Finn, but he beat them by about thirty minutes.  Thankfully, Emma was still sleeping.  The guys were visibly restless.  They were hovered around the bassinet, staring at her.

"She'll be away soon enough, guys," I chided.

"Rory, you look positively radiant," Colin said.

"More beautiful than ever," Robert added.

"Thanks guys," I replied, blushing a bit.  I certainly didn't feel overly attractive, but the guys know how to make a girl feel better.

"Let's go into the dining room for some lunch and leave Emma to sleep a little longer," Logan suggested.

"Excellent idea!  I'm starving," I replied.

"Some things never change," Colin said, jokingly.

Shortly after we finished eating, Emma began stirring.  I went in to check on here and picked her up.  All three guys were hot on my heels, vying to be the first to see her and hold her.  I checked her diaper first, to make sure there's no surprises.  I'm hoping that she's not hungry, yet, because I'm not sure how much longer I can hold them off.  They are crowded around me, cooing about her.  Never had I imagined these guys acting like this toward a baby.  I reminded myself that Emma is not just any baby, she's our baby.  Therefore, she's on a different echelon than other babies.  It was as if she were a princess, and would be treated as such.