Chapter 35.5

Our house was a buzz with activity the next day.  Emily had gone back to Nantucket last night.  The maid service was busy readying our home for dinner with the guys tonight.  I managed to talk Rory into letting them come in to help out.  It took a lot of pressure off her as a hostess and gave our place a good cleaning.  Around ten, the doorbell rang, and I wondered who could be here this early.  Dinner wasn't until seven tonight, so I didn't expect anyone until this evening at the very earliest.  I was wrong.  I opened the door to find an unbelievably excited Finn.

"Finn, what are you doing here?  You realize it's well before dinner and the sun is up," I said laughing.

"I hadn't noticed," he said, shoving his way past me.  "Where's that beautiful niece of mine?"

Finn went into the living room, where Rory was sitting on the couch.  He didn't bother stopping by her, instead he headed straight for the bassinet.

"Hi, Finn," Rory said.  "I'd appreciate it if you didn't wake Emma right now.  I just got her to sleep, and was going to take the opportunity to shower."

Finn stopped dead in his tracks, and turned around.  A definite look of disappointment on his face told me everything.  He'd arrived early just to get a leg up on the guys, and he was genuinely saddened he couldn't hold his beloved niece.

"Finn, I'm sorry, but I just got her to sleep.  You'll undoubtedly be one of the first to hold her," Rory said, in hopes of quelling the dissatisfaction.

"One of the first?" he questioned.

"Well, I will probably be the first.  Chances are, the baby will be hungry and/or in need of a diaper change," she replied.

"Mother knows best," he responded giving a little smile.  "Uncle Finn definitely does not change diapers."

"I thought so.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make myself more presentable."

"Darling, you are as lovely as ever," Finn said, kissing her on the forehead.

"Save the sweet talk, Finn.  I really do need a shower," she replied, smiling at him.  She left us in the living and went upstairs to take a shower.

"Scotch?" I asked Finn.  I knew it was rather early to begin drinking for the average person.  For him, time was but a relative concept.

"You just asked a question you already know the answer to," he replied with a smirk.

I poured a glass and handed it to him.

"Tell me again why I have to wait?" he asked impatiently.

"Because you never wake a sleeping baby," I said quietly with a stern look.

"I won't wake her up, I promise!" he swore.

"I'm pretty sure Rory will kill you if you even attempt.  She's got crazy keen Spidey senses when it comes to the baby!" I warned.

"Fine, but I'd better get to hold her before Colin and Robert!"

We chatted for a few more minutes while Finn drank his scotch and stared at Emma.  It was as if he were trying to stare her awake.  He was not-so-patiently waiting when the doorbell rang.  it was just before eleven, but I wondered if one of the other guys had the same idea as Finn.

"I'll be right back," I said to him.  "Don't you dare touch her!"

Finn took a seat on the couch with a look of defeat.  I went to answer the door, and, sure enough, it was both Colin and Robert.

"Greetings, Gentlemen," I said gesturing for them to enter.

The guys had a confused look and began searching the vicinity as if trying to find someone.  Suddenly, they stopped and started laughing.  I stared at them with a puzzled look on my face.