Chapter 23

After our honeymoon, we had settled back into a somewhat normal routine.  Logan worked, and I worked on my book and a few spec pieces.  I continued to work on the Gazette as well.  It filled my days, but Gilmore Girls had become my passion.  I had no idea what I had been missing.  I loved journalism in high school and college, but it was very different from the real world.  The landscape of journalism changed so dramatically right after college.  While I adapted, it didn't fulfill me like it had in the past.

Little Ace was constantly growing and moving now.  Logan still couldn't feel what I was feeling from inside, but it was pretty amazing.  It definitely made pregnancy much more real.  I was still torn about how much I was starting to show.  I haven't fit into my regular clothes for about three weeks and my wardrobe was pretty limited.  I didn't want to get carried away for just a few months.

On weekends, we continued our search for a bigger place to live, but there was nothing either of us found particularly appealing.  At best, the apartments and condos were fine.  I just didn't get the feeling that it was right.  I could tell our realtor was growing frustrated with our indecisiveness.

"We're never going to find a place to live at this rate," I lamented.  "Every place has been nice, but I don't get the right feeling about any of them.  You know, the feeling where you know this is the place you've been looking for."

"I think we need to consider looking outside of the city," he replied.

"Outside the city?  But I thought you wanted something in the city."

"We've exhausted most of the good options here and I'm with you, nothing feels right.  I want a place we both love."

"You're right.  I think a house would be nice.  I wouldn't mind if it were a little closer to Stars Hollow.  I've missed a lot of time with my mom traveling for work, and I know she'll want to be around to spoil her first grandchild," I said.

"I'll call tomorrow and give Bryce the new parameters.  How about this weekend we look at a couple of places and get out of the city?"

"That sounds good.  Don't forget that Friday is my ultrasound!" I reminded him.

"How could I forget?  You've been talking about it for two weeks," he said, smiling.

It was finally Friday.  I met Logan at the doctor's office as usual.  He's been so great and has made every appointment.  The ultrasound appointment is usually when we can find out the gender of the baby, from what I've read.  I had followed the instructions I was given last month to keep a full bladder, as much as I wanted to go to the bathroom this instant.  Little Ace has been using my bladder as a trampoline.  I can imagine it only gets worse as the baby grows, shoving all of my internal organs out of its way.  It was uncomfortable, but bearable.  We walked into the darkened room.  I sat on the bed and the tech helped position me.  She tucked a towel into the front part of my pants and moved them down a bit more.  The gel was cool on my stomach.  She took the wand and rubbed the gel around, trying to find the baby on the screen.  Logan held my hand.  The tech moved the wand around and took some measurements.

"Looks like the baby is right where it should be.  You are measuring right at twenty weeks.  I'm not an expert, but everything else seems to look good.  Would you like to know the sex of your baby?" she said.

Logan and I looked at each other and smiled.  "Yes!" we said excitedly.

"Ok, this may take a few minutes," she replied, moving the wand around some more.  She had printed off a few pictures for us as souvenirs.  I clutched Logan's hand in anticipation.  I couldn't really tell what we were looking at on the screen.  I could make out a head, which looked more like a Halloween decoration than a human head.  A foot appeared, but outside of that, it may as well have been a television with a fuzzy screen.  She moved the wand around a bit more, but didn't seem to find the angle she wanted.

"I'm sorry, Rory, but the baby is moving too much to get a good look," she said.  "Usually movement is good, but this one is sly and hiding the area I need to see."

"The baby must take after you, Logan," I said with a smile.

"I guess the suspense will continue," he replied coyly.

My mom had been anticipating this appointment more than I have.  She wants to know the sex of the baby because she's convinced it's a girl.  I would love to know more for planning purposes.  Good thing we didn't have a big gender reveal party planned.

The tech took the towel and wiped off my stomach.  She showed me to the bathroom.  In all of the anticipation, I had forgotten about my overly full bladder.  I came out and Logan put his arm around my shoulders and gave me a kiss on the side of my head.

"Are you disappointed?" he asked.

"I was looking forward to finding out, but it's just a little extra excitement.  Ten years ago, this may have been more stressful, the not knowing.  I actually enjoy the unknown now.  My mom on the other hand...."

"Lorelai will be very disappointed, but it won't stop her from thinking Little Ace is a girl," he said, smiling.

"She'll get over it," I replied, laughing a little.

"Now, let's find us a new place to live!"

Logan led me to the car.  We ventured out of the city and into the suburbs.  In all of my time in NYC, I hadn't spent much time this far out.  It was much more peaceful, I'll admit.  I still wasn't completely sold on the idea of being this close to the city.  We looked at three different places.  They were beautiful, but they didn't quite fit.

"I promise, we'll find something!  I've got a good feeling about tomorrow," Logan said.

Saturday morning arrived.  I loved all of the things the city had to offer, but I was looking forward to a weekend away.  I didn't care that it was starting with more house hunting.  It was becoming discouraging at this point.  I know we'll find something and we still have time before the baby comes.  We were much further away from the city today.  I was warmer to these houses, but we still hadn't found the right one.

"We've got two more places to look at, and then we'll head to Stars Hollow to see your mom and Luke.  I've already made reservations at the Dragonfly," Logan said.

"I suppose I can handle a couple more as long as you promise me a burger and fries from Luke's," I said with a wink.

"Anything Little Ace wants, Little Ace gets!" he replied, grinning.

"This isn't a baby request.  It comes directly from the ravishing beauty sitting next to you," I responded.

We pulled up to a house on the edge of New Haven.  I hadn't considered something this far out, but I was getting a good feeling about this house.  It was a fabulous house.  It had everything we wanted and then some: guest house, pool, stables.

"I'm sorry," I said to Logan, apologetically.

"Are we moving in the right direction?"

"We are definitely getting warmer," I replied.

I didn't pay much attention to where we headed next.  I felt my eyelids getting heavy.  I must have dozed off because I woke up outside of Grandma's house in Hartford.

"I thought you said we had one more house to look at," I said, puzzled.

"We do," Logan replied.

Then I saw our realtor's car pull up next to ours.