Chapter 34

The first week at home with Emma had been trying to say the very least.  I don't think I've gotten more than a couple hours of sleep at a time.  Even when Logan tried to let me sleep, my new supersonic mom hearing wouldn't let me tune her out.  I felt like I could hear every movement she made.  I definitely know Emma is a Gilmore because she eats non-stop.  I don't think I've been this sleep deprived since the early days of Yale.  It didn't help that I was still on a restricted caffeine diet.  I thought after the baby was born, I'd be able to go about with my coffee business.  Turns out, breastfeeding creates a modified pregnancy diet.  Some things you can get around, but others are still taboo.

I had no idea things could be so crazy.  Fortunately, Logan encouraged our friends and family to wait a week or so before dropping by for a visit.  I made an exception for Mom and Grandma.  Mom's guidance has been invaluable.  I feel like I've called her every single day.  I also knew it would be virtually impossible to keep Grandma away.  She came over when Emma was four days old.  I had never seen her interact with a child, but she seemed to be in love with our baby.  I loved seeing this softer side of her.  She even loved the name.  Although she didn't say it outright, I could tell she was touched by the nod to her with Emma's name.  There, apparently, was more than one connection.

"Victoria was my grandmother's name," she said.

"I had no idea, Grandma, and now I'm even more certain of the choice," I replied.

"I admired her a great deal.  She was a very strong woman, and taught me a lot about the world.  She was the one who encouraged me to pursue your grandfather, despite my own mother's advice," Grandma recalled.

"I'm glad you did, Grandma.  He was your perfect match," I replied.

"Like Logan is yours," she said, smiling.

"He is, and it took entirely too long for me to realize it," I said, shyly.

"Your grandfather and I knew it a long time ago.  I'm just really glad that you are happy, Rory.  I know your grandfather is too," she stated.

"Hey, Ace, I think Emma is hungry," Logan called from the next room.

"If you'll excuse me, I'll be back in a bit," I said to Grandma.

"Nonsense, Rory," she started.  "Logan, bring that precious baby in here.  There's no shame in feeding your own child."

Who was this woman, and what had she done with my grandma?  How could I possibly feed Emma in front of her?  I guess I just listen to her orders.  Logan brought her in to me, and I tried to find the most modest position, as to not offend Grandma.  Once she was settled in, I turned my attention back to Grandma.

"I swear all this baby does is eat," I said, trying to make small talk to distract from my current state.

"Your mother was the same way.  It felt as if she needed to eat every two hours, like clockwork.  It took forever before I finally got a decent night's sleep," she replied.

"You didn't have a nanny right away?"

"No, we waited until she was about two years old."

"How long before Mom finally let you sleep?"

"I think it had to be at least six months.  During that time I did seriously consider getting a nanny, just to get some sleep.  I made it through though, and you will too," Grandma replied.

Emma finished feeding and I moved her up to my shoulder to burp.  She burped and started to fall asleep on my shoulder.

"Come and see your Great-Grandma, Emma," she said, reaching out for the baby.  "Rory, you go upstairs and get yourself some sleep.  Logan and I can handle things down here for a bit, right?"