Chapter 16

Breakfast was waiting for me in the suite when I woke up.  It was laid out on the table in the next room.  Logan must have ordered from downstairs.  It smelled wonderful and tasted even better.  To top it off, there was a cup of real coffee.  Nothing tasted as sweet as the nectar of the gods.  How was I going to survive the next seven months with so little real coffee?

"Good morning, Ace!  How did you sleep?"

"That bed has some sort of magical sleeping powers!  I feel so refreshed and ready to explore," I said, digging into the plate of pancakes, bacon and sausage.  "Mmmmm....this is delicious," I say with a mouth full of food.

"I'm glad you are enjoying yourself and that you're all rested up.  I was worried about what the jet lag would do to you with the pregnancy," Logan replied.

"So, I was doing some research on the flight here and I came up with a plan for today.  I didn't have time for buying the necessary books to properly plan, but I did what I could with the resources available to me."

"Ok, what did you have in mind?"
"Well, I thought we could start with the Kunsthalle Hamburg and move to the Chilehaus for some shopping and lunch," I said.  "Then we can finish the day with the Chocoversum Schokoladen Museum.  The baby is craving some chocolate."

"I'm ready when you are, Ace," he replied.

"Oh, I still need to finish eating and take a shower," I stated.

"Sounds good.  I could use another cup of coffee myself."

I finish eating and make my way to the shower.  I turn in on and let the bathroom steam up.  I take off my clothes and step into the shower.  I hadn't noticed the dual showerheads.  I let the steam and water take me away.  It was relaxing and refreshing.  I took one more deep breath and stepped out.  Logan was waiting on the other side with a big fluffy towel to wrap around me to dry off.  While I dried myself, he grabbed the soft, luxurious robe and held it out for me to put on.  Logan pulled me to him with the belt of the robe.  He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer.  I wrapped my arms around his neck.  We stood there, bodies pressed against each other.  He kissed me, gently and then more intense with the passing moments.  Slowly, Logan backed me out of the bathroom, still kissing me.  He backed me up to the bed.  I felt the same as I did the night he climbed into my dorm room window at Yale.  I remember wanting him as much then as I do now.  I succumb to the burning desires between us.

I lie in Logan's arms, my husband's arms.  We were still tangled in the covers.  I felt so warm and safe.  I could hardly believe it was real.  We were right where we were supposed to be.

"What'cha thinking about, Ace?"  Logan said, softly.

"I was thinking about the journey we've taken.  I'm still in disbelief that we are married and on our honeymoon.  I feel like we are right where we are supposed to be," I replied.

"I can't believe it's real myself.  I've dreamt of this since Yale, Rory.  I've never wanted anyone else.  It's always been you.  When I said you were special at your grandparents' vow renewal, I meant it," he said, kissing me on the forehead.

"I don't know why I ever said good-bye to you.  I've always loved you, Logan."

"I love you, too, Ace.  Now, let's finish getting ready and hit Chilehaus for some shopping and lunch.  I'd like to see Kunsthalle, but I'm not in the mood for it today, if that's ok...."

"I definitely want to see it, but I'm not in the mood either.  Food and shopping sound more my speed right now," I replied, smiling.

It was hard to climb out of the warm bed, but I was starving.  We got ready and headed down to the car.  The Chilehaus looked like a ship.  It was amazingly beautiful inside.  I spotted a place selling pretzels calling my name.  I needed some food while we shopped.  There were so many shops and I think we stopped in each one!  Logan found a traditional German restaurant for lunch.  Schnitzel and spaetzle have never tasted so good.  It was my new favorite comfort food.  The baby certainly seemed to enjoy it!  Eating was followed by more shopping and a trip to Chocoversum Schokoladen Museum.  It tasted as delicious as it smelled.  We bought massive amounts of chocolate.

"Are you going to share with Lorelai?"

"I was going to bring some back as a gift for her, but I'm not sure it will make it that long!" I said, laughing.  "This is the best chocolate I've ever had!  Maybe we should send a couple of packages home to be sure.  Grandma will love this as well."

"Emily certainly loves good chocolate," Logan replied.

"We had better get out of here before I become the chocolate version of Violet Beauregarde!"

Logan laughed and made the necessary arrangements for delivery back to the states.  The car was outside waiting to take us back to the hotel.  It was a short ride, but too far to walk in the cooler months.  Upon arrival, we went straight to our room and the shopping bounty followed.  Even though I'm not showing quite yet, I picked up some maternity clothes.  I knew it would be happening soon and I wanted to be prepared.

"What's the baby craving for dinner?"

"Surprise me!" I said with a wink and a smile.

"I was hoping you'd say that," he replied with a devilish grin.

I change into my lucky dress and some boots.  We leave the room.  There's a car waiting for us, once again.  About ten minutes later, we arrived at a restaurant that looked vaguely familiar.  How do I know this place?

"Recognize this place?"

"I've been trying to place it, but it's not coming to me.  It looks so familiar," I reply.

"I do believe you were wearing the same dress..."

"The restaurant where we saw each other for the first time since that day at Yale..." I recalled.  I could feel tears welling up in my eyes.

"Oh, Ace, don't cry," he said, putting his hand on my cheek and wiping away the tears.

"It's happy tears, triggered by my crazy pregnant hormones," I said.

We go inside and are shown to our table.  The memories start flooding my mind.  Seeing Logan, again, for the first time all those years ago made me so happy.  I thought I had lost him forever on my graduation day.  Now, here we were, celebrating our marriage and baby.

We finish our dinner and order dessert.  I don't remember this place tasting so delicious.  I do recall the drinks and Logan's hotel room.  I feel myself grinning from ear to ear.  It was a wonderful memory.

"Something you'd like to share?" Logan asked, taking a sip of wine.

"I was just thinking about our chance meeting here.  Then after....." I blushed.

"I've got to confess.....it wasn't a chance meeting..." his voice trailed off.

"What are you talking about?  I had no idea you were going to be here that day."

"I may or may not have known you were going to be here for a business dinner."

"How did you know?  I mean it's not like I broadcast it anywhere."

"I hear things.  I know about a lot of things going on in this business."

"Were you keeping tabs on me?" I feel the anger building.  I'm trying to keep calm, but I feel a little blindsided by this information.

"No, I mean yes.....I mean.....I felt like part of me was missing without you.  I hated being without you.  California was wrong without you by my side.  I did well for myself and my dad, surprisingly, recognized that.  He practically begged for me to come back....."

"Don't try to change the subject.  Were you watching me?" I demanded.

"Just because I wasn't on your radar, it doesn't mean you weren't on mine.  I've never been able to forget you, Rory.  I've always loved you and I didn't want to live my life without you," he explained.

"I think....I just need some time to process all of this.  I thought it was fate bringing us back together, not you stalking me...." I said, standing up.

"Rory, please, don't!  Let me explain...." he said as I walked away.

I walked outside.  Of course, there was no car here to take me back to the hotel.  Why didn't he tell me before, instead of waiting until now?  I hailed a cab.

"Rory!  Wait!" Logan called as I got into the cab.