Chapter 21

"Odette?!  Are you freaking kidding me?  What does she have to do with anything?"

"There wasn't much information, except Mom said there was a serious issue that needed to be discussed and it had to be done in person.  I don't know how to get it through her head that you are my wife and you're carrying our baby."

"Maybe there's another explanation for all of this.  Have you heard anything from your dad?"

"I doubt he can offer any insight since he seemed to be in the dark when I talked to him earlier."

"What really bothers me about all of this is she knows we are on our honeymoon.  It's like she wants to ruin it at this point."

"We were planning on heading home tomorrow anyway, so maybe you should just get it over with...." I suggested.

"Ace, this reeks of a classic Huntzberger Shanghai.  Nothing good can come from a meeting with my mom and Odette.  I knew they were friendly, but I thought it was mostly for appearance's sake.  I assumed all ties had been severed when I broke off the engagement.  You know what happens when you assume something."

"I have a bad feeling, too, Logan, but I'm hoping that your mom isn't trying to cause more drama."

"I have that same feeling, and at the same time I find it hard to believe she would deliberately sabotage us.  It would be low, even for her.  She's much more cloak-and-dagger about these types of social issues," he replied.

"I'm not sure what to tell you, but I'm with you whatever you decide.  We are good, Logan," I assured him.

"I'll have them meet here if that's ok with you.  I don't want to broadcast any of this to the world."

"I'm afraid it might be a bit awkward....you know.....so I could make myself scarce.  I saw a wonderful bookstore earlier I'd like to check out."

"You don't have to leave, in fact, I would love to have you here, by my side," he confessed.

"Or you just don't want me to go to a bookstore.....without supervision," I said with a laugh.

"That's a very valid point, Ace," he said with a little grin.  "Then it's settled, we'll both meet with them tomorrow."

"Now, let's get some rest.  We've got a big day ahead of us."

About mid-morning, there was a knock on the suite door.  I was hoping it was the brunch we had ordered.  Logan opened the door to Shira and Odette.  I hadn't really gotten a good look at Odette yesterday.  She was much more attractive than I had hoped.  A pang of jealousy ran through me for a moment.  Logan had chosen me over her.  The idea quelled the green-eyed monster.  She was a raven-haired beauty with emerald green eyes, thin and well-dressed.  She looked about 10 years younger than Logan, maybe in her mid-20s.  We had never really talked about her, so she had remained a mystery to me.  I was always a little curious, but never had the guts to ask.

"Rory, this is Odette.  Odette, this is Rory, my wife," Logan introduced us quickly.

"It's nice to meet you," I said, holding out my hand.

"And you," she replied, shaking my hand.  She gave me a small smile.

The four of us moved to the couches near the fireplace.  The logs on the fire roared and kept the room toasty warm.  We took one couch and Logan's mom and ex took the other.

"Well, Rory, I wasn't expecting to see you today," Shira said, obviously surprised by my presence.

"We are on our honeymoon, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't expect me," I replied, trying to keep my attitude to a minimum.  I was not going to let her walk all over me.

"I know and I am so sorry to even call for this meeting, but there is a time sensitive situation that needs to be addressed," Odette began, sounding genuinely apologetic.

"Time sensitive situation?" Logan said with concern, raising an eyebrow.

"Oui, I mean, yes," she said.

Could she be pregnant too?  Logan made it sound as if they'd never slept together.  I've known Logan for a very long time.  I'd be fooling myself if I thought that were true.  What other time sensitive situations are there.  I couldn't think of a single one besides pregnancy.

"Odette, are you....." Logan couldn't get the question out, but we were obviously thinking of the same scenario.

"No, no, no!  I'm not carrying your child.  It's much less complicated than that, but still quite serious," she replied.

I could see the relief on Logan's face.  We had been given a reprieve from some crazy familial drama that would have ensued had she been pregnant.  I was still curious as to what the time sensitive issue was if it wasn't that.  I heard a knock on our door and answered it.  Brunch had finally arrived.

"Feel free to help yourself," Logan said, gesturing to the food that was just delivered.

"No, thank you.  We've already had breakfast this morning," Shira said.

"We?" Logan questioned.

Maybe they were an item.  It would definitely explain why Mitchum knew nothing.  She was far too pretty and young to be in love with someone like Shira.  I tried not to laugh out loud while playing the scene in my head.  Besides, Shira is far too adherent to acceptable social standards for the wealthy to consider a public relationship in this sense.  I knew this was too far-fetched and I was letting my imagination get carried away.  I should make a mental note and send it to Doyle as an idea for a screenplay.

"Yes, your mother is the only person I've felt like I could talk to about my situation.  No one else wants to have anything to do with me right now.  I've been ostracized," Odette's reply brought me back to reality.

"And what exactly is this situation?" Logan asked.

I sat quietly, studying the facial expressions of the ladies sitting across from me.  And eating because this baby is starving all of the time!  I've watched my mother eat and this child seems to want to rival her for the food consumption crown in utero! 

"This is really hard for me, Logan.  I'm not sure how to put it, but I'm broke...."