Chapter 19.5

"Odette?  Like that Odette?"

"What the hell is my mother doing here with her?"  I was still completely stunned.  I felt that some color had come back, but anyone could see that I was still in shock.

"I thought your mom was warming up to the idea of us.  At least that's the impression I got when we were dress shopping for the wedding.  She even insisted on buying my dress.  Was she playing me, too?"

I hadn't heard Rory as I was furiously texting Honor.  She had to know what was going on with Mom.

"Logan?"

"Oh, sorry, I was texting Honor to see if she knows anything.  She's usually up-to-date with Mom's business.  I'm hoping she can help solve this mystery.  Where's Robert Stack when you need him?"

"I'm pretty sure he's dead," she said half-heartedly.

After what felt like an eternity, my phoned buzzed.  It was Honor.

"She had no idea Mom was going to be in Paris, or that she was still in contact with Odette.  I thought the whole thing was behind us," I said.  "I'm so sorry.  I could make a few calls and see if we can't get in somewhere else.  I know it's short notice on a Saturday night, but throwing out the Huntzberger name usually gets you just about anything you want...." my voice trailed off.

"I don't blame you at all.  I saw the color drain from your face.  I just get the feeling that something is going on that you don't know about.  As much as I hate to suggest it, maybe you should ask your dad....." Rory said, and looked a little worried about my reaction.  "And if staying here is too much for you, I'm ok going somewhere else.  Just not too far because this baby is about to eat me from the inside if I don't get some food soon," she said with a small laugh.

"I think you're right about talking to my dad.  He always knows what's going on everywhere.  Even though he's supposed to be taking it easy, he's got someone filling him in every single day," I replied and tried to muster the slightest of smiles.

I had a sinking feeling, much like the one I had after the first dinner with my parents and Rory.  Why the hell was my mother having dinner with Odette?  Why can't I come up with an answer? He thought.  It was the same the same question repeating itself in my head.  I was still lost in my own thoughts when she interrupted me.

"Logan, where did they go?" she whispered.

My eyes darted around the room, rapidly, trying to spy their whereabouts.  I was searching frantically.  I was looking all over to no avail.

"Are they gone?" she asked.

"I don't see them -"

"Logan, Rory, I didn't think I'd see you here.  Aren't you two supposed to be in Hamburg for your honeymoon?" Mom interrupted, appearing out of nowhere.

We were both startled and the color drained from Rory's face.  Somehow, Mom managed to spot us, even in the corner of the restaurant.  I really didn't feel like dealing with her, but it seemed I had no other choice.

"Well, our plans changed and here we are.  What are you doing here, Mom?" I replied.

"Oh, the girls and I decided to have a little ladies' weekend in Paris," she said, lying through her teeth to us.  "Don't let me spoil your night!  I know the last person anyone wants to see on their honeymoon is a parent.  I'll leave you to your dinner.  Hope you have a wonderful evening.  Goodbye, Logan, Rory," she said as she waved and exited.

Did my mother stand there and tell us an outright lie?  I'm surprised she even came over to us.  I could feel the rage building.

"I cannot believe she had the nerve to lie straight to my face!  She thinks we didn't see her with Odette.  I feel like she's up to something....and I'm going to find out what the hell is going on!" I said angrily.