Chapter 1.5

As promised, Odette had her things moved out a few days ago.  It felt a little weird, but I was relieved to have this part over.  I started making my own arrangements for the move to NYC.  I didn't need to worry about an apartment because HPG kept residences across the world for these types of situations.  I packed up my own stuff and planned for them to be shipped back to the states.  Honor was still on Dad detail since Mom was off the grid.  I'd relieve her at the end of the week when I got settled in.

I slept better than I had since that night with Rory in New Hampshire.  I always slept better with her next to me.  On my final day in London, I awoke to a text from Finn.

Haven't heard from you in a few days.  How's your dad?

-Dad's fine.  Things are a little hectic with the move.

What move, Mate?

-I'm moving back to NYC.

Were you planning on telling your best friend?

-Sorry, Finn.  Just a little chaotic, that's all.

How's the French heiress taking it?

-I don't know.  She's not my concern anymore.

It felt a little cold, but I couldn't linger on this issue.  I had bigger fish to fry, like moving and getting Rory back.  Odette wasn't at fault in any of this, but I, honestly, didn't really care what she was doing.

Are you fucking with me?  This better not be a bloody joke!

-No joke.  She's gone.  We're over.

Have you told our girl?

-Not yet, but I'm sure she'll hear soon enough.  It'll be front page news in the gossip columns.  It'll be trending in no time.

Better not wait too long, or you'll be too late!

-I know, I know.  I'll fill you in on the details later.  It's my last day at the office and I've got a million things to do before my flight this evening.

Good luck!

-Thanks, I'll need it!

I wrapped up the important projects in London and flew across the pond to my new home in NYC.  I was nervous about the transition and new responsibilities.  Dad rarely let me take total control, and now, it was up to me.  I checked in with Honor and Dad.  He seemed to be recovering well, but he still had a long road ahead of him.  He'd soon be heading home and the in-home nurses would take over.  Mom decided to finally make an appearance.  Honor and I decided to back off.  It's not as if we'd disappear, but Mom needed to take on her share of onus in Dad's continuing healthcare.

I sat in the new digs.  My phone was blowing up with text after call after voicemail.  I didn't know if it pertained to work or news of the break-up.  I couldn't concentrate on anything at the moment.  I decided work could wait, and I wasn't overly concerned with anything regarding Odette.  I knew what I needed to do.  I pulled out my cell phone and scrolled to her number.  It was simply labeled "Ace".  I took a deep breath and pressed the green icon.

"Hello," she answered.

 "Hey, Ace!  I'm sure you've heard the news by now?" I replied, trying to sound casual.

"I did.  I'm so sorry to hear about your engagement....and your father," she said sounding sincere.

I let out at little chuckle at the irony of the situation.  Odette and Dad were the two big obstacles standing between us.  Both had fallen, and she was giving me condolences, as if I had really lost something in all of this.  I guess she didn't know what all of this mean for her, for us.

"Mitchum will be in the hospital for a few more days and has been ordered to rest for quite some time.  He won't be working for 5-6 months while he recovers.  Although, I think him resting might actually kill him.  As for the engagement, it  had run its course.  Neither of us could stand it anymore.  I couldn't drag her through this sham of a relationship.  She could sense there was never going to be more than a friendship between us, no matter how much she tried.  She's.....she's.......not you...." I confessed, omitting the part where Odette actually found some of Rory's things in my apartment.  She didn't need to know about that.

I felt the weight lift off my shoulders.  Now, I waited for her response.  I had no idea how she'd react.  I had run through a million scenarios, but she's surprised me before.  It was one of the qualities I loved about Rory, but now she was starting to freak me out by not responding.  Dammit, Ace!  Answer me!

"Rory?  Are you ok?" I asked nervously.  Please don't let me be wrong about us!  I thought.

"Yeah, I'm here, Logan," she replied after what felt like an eternity.  "I just don't know how to respond.  Our last night together was so perfect!  The goodbye was heartbreaking.  I didn't want to leave you the next morning.  I wanted to keep you with me forever!" She paused for a moment.  "So, where does this leave you? Or us?"

She wants an us!  I felt excitement swelling and more relief at the same time!  I hadn't been wrong.

"I want to see you, Ace!  I need to see you.  You're all I can think about!" I replied.  I tried to mask the desperation, but at this point, I didn't really care if I sounded anxious.  I didn't know how long I could wait to see her.

"Ok.  When and where?" She asked, sounding a little nervous.

"Is tomorrow too soon?  I'll send a car to bring you to my apartment in the city," I said with the hope that I could wait that long.

"Not today?" she asked, surprising me as usual.

"Today it is!  I'll send the car right away.  Bye, Ace!"  I didn't even think before I spoke.  I let my overwhelming excitement speak for me.

"Bye, Logan," Rory said.

This had been far too easy.  If I've learned anything, it's that life is rarely this stress-free.  It's complex and unpredictable.  There had to be a catch, but, right now, I didn't care.  I wanted to hold her in my arms.

I made the necessary arrangements through my car service to pick up Rory in Stars Hollow.  It would be at least two hours before she arrived.  I kept myself busy by taking a shower and cleaning up the apartment.  There wasn't much of a mess since I'd only been here a day or so, but I had to do something to occupy myself, or I'd go crazy.

Finn, Colin, and Robert had been keeping pretty close tabs on me since they found out about Odette.  It seemed they'd been taking turns checking in on me.  Today, it was Colin's turn.

Have you called her yet?  What did she say?

-Yes, I did call her.  About an hour ago, and she's on her way to NYC!

I couldn't contain my excitement, even with the guys.  I didn't have to because I knew they were excited too.  She was just as important to them as she was to me.  She was like family to them.

Really?  You don't waste any time, Huntzberger!

-It was actually Rory who suggested coming today.

Well, I'll be damned!  Do you know what you're going to say to her?

-No clue.  I'm damn lucky she's even entertaining the idea of an 'us'!

That you are.  She's a fine woman, and you'd better hold onto her this time, or else...

-Or else what?

I don't think you want to know...

-You're right.  I don't want to lose her again. 

I'm not sure their punishment would be any worse than what I'd do to myself.

Just don't be a dumb ass, Logan!

-I'll try, but I make no promises, Colin!

Keep us posted!

-Will do!

I got a notification that the driver was nearly here.  I made some coffee, and went downstairs to greet my Ace.