Chapter 29.5

It was finally Friday night and Emily was coming over for dinner.  Rory was very nervous, as was I since this had been her house before.  The house was barely recognizable since we'd redecorated most of it.  It was less formal and stuffy, but still in great taste.  It was modern comfort.  It really felt like our home now.

The doorbell rang and I went to answer it.  Rory was getting slower these days and met us in the living room.  Emily was looking around in awe, but it was hard to tell because she hadn't said anything besides a generic greeting.

"Hello, Emily," I said greeting her.  "Please, come in.  May I take your coat?"

"Logan, it's wonderful to see you," she replied as she handed me her coat.

"Grandma," Rory welcomed Emily and attempted to give her a hug.

"Rory, you look radiant.  Pregnancy suits you," she said, complimenting her.

"Emily, please have a seat," I said motioning to the couch.  "Can I get you a drink?"

"Thank you, Logan.  I'll have a martini," she replied, still looking around.

"What do you think, Grandma?  I know it's different than you had it, but do you like it?"

"If I didn't know better, I'd think this wasn't the same house!  It has a much younger and relaxed feel to it," she said.  She took an extra moment and smiled.  "I like it!"

"Really?  I was afraid you'd hate it because it's so different.  I'm so relieved," Rory replied.

"It's a perfect place to raise your family," she said with a smile as she took the drink I handed her.  "I always knew you two would end up together.  It was written in the stars."

Neither of us had expected such a positive response from Emily.  It made out Friday night dinner quite pleasant.  She seemed pleased with the dinner choice and actually enjoyed the cookies and ice cream.  She may enjoy many of the finer things in life, but can find joy in the simpler things as well.  Rory seemed relieved that she'd been so receptive to all of the changes.

The following day, Emily left for Stars Hollow, and I was on deck for the stressful family dinner that awaited me later.  I wanted to pretend like I didn't care what my parents thought of me and my life, but I couldn't help feel as if they still held my future in the palm of their hands.  Somehow, Rory seemed almost zen-like about my parents' impending arrival.  I was extremely nervous, and I didn't want to disrupt the delicate balance I had going on with my dad.  Despite everything, Mom was completely unpredictable.  I had also been worrying about the tension that Honor had mentioned.  Apparently, my emotions were blatantly obvious.

"Are you ok, Logan?"

"No....yeah....do we really have to do this, Ace?"

"I think it will be good for all of us.  I don't want your parents to miss out on Little Ace's growing up like my father's parents did for me.  I met them once and they were horrible to me and Mom.  It was hurtful and wrong.  I never had the chance to get to know them, and they never wanted to know me.  While the circumstances are a bit different, I don't want the same outcome," Rory confessed.

"I just don't want this to turn into World War III between my parents.  Honor said things have been tense, and that's not good for Dad.  He's doing better, but I don't want anything to set him off.  We've been getting along much better and I'd like to keep it that way," I replied.

My parents arrived, and we settled in for drinks.  Dad was abiding by the doctor's orders, and joined Rory on Team Club Soda.  I handed Mom a drink, and poured a scotch for myself.  During drinks and dinner, there were dull and mundane conversations.  I picked up on what Honor had said about my parents being cool and tense towards each other.  One our way to the living room for a digestif, Rory held me back.  She didn't look like she felt well at all, which concerned me.