Chapter 9

I grabbed my purse and keys on my way out the door.  "Good luck, Ace," Logan called to me on the way to the door.  "May the odds be ever be ever in your favor," he added, imitating Effie from The Hunger Games.

I paused and shot him a dirty look.  "Logan!" I chastised.  He rushed over to me, put his hands on my hips and gave me a sweet kiss.  That boy and his wiles!

The car that picked up my mom was downstairs waiting for me.  I climbed inside of it.

"So, tell me again why you invited Logan's mom?"

"Mom, weren't you the one who told me to kill 'em with kindness?  I'm extending an olive branch.  I needed to do something to help my cause.  I can't let Logan keeping fighting alone," I explained.  "Now let's see if we can't make this a successful outing.  Honor will be there, too.  She knows how to handle Shira.  She's been doing it for years!"

"Ok, Rory, but I really, really dislike that woman!"

"I know, Mom."

We arrive at the first appointment on Honor's list.  She was there with Shira.

"I'm so glad you could make it, Shira!"  I greeted her with kisses on each cheek.  "We have a lot of work ahead of us, ladies," I start my pep talk.  "Honor has picked out some great places and I'm confident we'll find me something to wear so I don't have to get married naked," I said jokingly.

Everyone groaned at my poor joke.  I needed to do something to break the ice.  I let Honor take the lead.  She was the expert in this field.

We spread around the boutique, looking at various dresses.  There were so many choices, styles and colors.  Where am I supposed to begin?  I make my way to a rack that's primarily non-white dresses.  I definitely don't want white!

Mom comes up to the same rack.  "Do you have any idea what you are looking for?"

"Something not white," I replied.  "I'll know it when I see it."

Honor comes up to me with a beautiful ivory dress.  "This would be perfect for you, Rory!"

"Um....I'm not so sure, Honor.  It's beautiful, but it looks awfully low-cut," I reply.

I try on a few dresses Mom and Honor have brought me.  Each was beautiful, but they weren't right.  We move onto the next appointment, the next, and the next.  I'm starting to think I'll never find anything.  Maybe I should have had my mom make the dress for me, but there's not enough time for that.  I think I've tried on fifty dresses already; I don't know how many more I can take.  Thank goodness we took a lunch break after the second boutique.  I was famished and desperately needed sustenance if I was going to make it to any other appointments.

I suddenly realized that Shira had been fairly quiet today and now she had disappeared.  I looked around and spotted her outside on her cell phone.  She could have, at least, tried to be nice and enjoy herself.

"Honor, your mom sure has been quiet today.  What's going on?"

"I have no idea.  I thought this would make her happy, to be included.  At least she hasn't been in a fighting mood today," Honor replied.

"Honey, this can't be easy for her either," Mom chimed in.

Shira came back inside with a smile on her face.  "I have a surprise and the car will be here in a few moments!"

A surprise?!  This was our last appointment today and I was determined to find something, anything at this point in the game!  I just don't know what I will do if I can't find anything today.  I will find something.  I have to find something!   We get into the car and begin the journey to wherever Shira was taking us.  I hope this isn't some plot to keep me from finding a dress.