Chapter 21.5

"Odette?  Are you freaking kidding me?  What does she have to do with anything?" she asked in disbelief.

"There wasn't much information, except Mom said there was a serious issue that needed to be discussed and it had to be done in person.  I don't know how to get it through her head that you are my wife and you're carrying our baby."

"Maybe there's another explanation for all of this.  Have you heard anything from your dad?"

"I doubt he can offer any insight since he seemed to be in the dark when I talked to him earlier."

"What really bothers me about all of this is she knows we are on our honeymoon.  It's like she wants to ruin it at this point."

"We were planning on heading home tomorrow anyway, so maybe you should just get it over with...." she suggested.

"Ace, this reeks of a classic Huntzberger Shanghai.  Nothing good can come from a meeting with my mom and Odette.  I knew they were friendly, but I thought it was mostly for appearance's sake.  I assumed all ties had been severed when I broke off the engagement.  You know what happens when you assume something."

"I have a bad feeling, too, Logan, but I'm hoping that your mom isn't trying to cause more drama."

"I have that same feeling, and at the same time, I find it hard to believe she would deliberately sabotage us.  It would be low, even for her.  She's much more cloak-and-dagger about these types of social issues," I replied.

"I'm not sure what to tell you, but I'm with you whatever you decide.  We are good, Logan," she assured me.

"I'll have them meet here, if that's ok with you.  I don't want to broadcast any of this to the world."

"I'm afraid it might be a bit awkward....you know....so I could make myself scarce.  I saw a wonderful bookstore earlier I'd like to check out."

"You don't have to leave, in fact, I would love to have you here, by my side," I confessed.  I didn't want to put Rory in a difficult, awkward position, but I felt stronger with her by my side.  I also wanted to emphasize that Rory and I were a united front in case my mom had any ideas to the contrary.

"Or you just don't want me to go to a bookstore.....without supervision," she said with a laugh.

"That's a very valid point, Ace," I said with a little grin.  She did have a good point about the bookstore and supervision.  "Then it's settled, we'll both meet with them tomorrow."

"Now, let's get some rest.  We've got a big day ahead of us."

I shot a message to my mother letting her know the time and location. 

About mid-morning, they arrived.  I opened the door to let my mom and Odette into our suite.  I could see Rory watching intently as they entered.  We'd never really talked about Odette, nor had they ever seen each other aside from a glance last night.  Odette seemed a bit unsure of herself, but still managed to look beautiful.  I'd never found her unattractive, but she just wasn't Ace.  I could tell both ladies were a little uncomfortable with the other being around, which was to be expected.  I remembered how I felt when I met Jess, but that's a night I'd rather forget.  I figured I'd try to make the best out of this odd situation.

"Rory, this is Odette.  Odette, this is Rory, my wife," I quickly introduced them to one another.

"It's nice to meet you," Rory said holding out her hand.  Even under adverse conditions, Rory knew how to rise above it.

"And you," Odette replied shaking her hand.  She gave Rory a small smile.

I moved us onto the couches near the fireplace.  Rory and I sat on one side, leaving the other for my mom and Odette.  I hadn't noticed the priceless look of surprise on my mother's face at Rory's presence.  I didn't tell her I was including Rory, but it let her know to expect this kind of thing in the future.

"Well, Rory, I wasn't expecting to see you today," Mom commented with a slightly snide tone.

"We are on our honeymoon, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't expect me," she replied with a subtly sarcastic air.

"I know and I'm so sorry to even call for this meeting, but there is a time sensitive situation that needs to be addressed," Odette began sounding genuinely apologetic.

"Time sensitive situation?" I said raising an eyebrow.

"Oui, I mean, yes," she said correcting herself.

Oh, shit!  Is she pregnant, too?  I mean, we used protection and she claimed to be on birth control as well, but.....I thought.  The wave of panic had swept over me, but I dove right in and asked the question that first came to mind.

"Odette, are you....." I asked.  My voice trailed off before I could finish.

"No, no, no!  I'm not carrying your child.  It's much less complicated than that, but still quite serious," she replied.

I was relieved that wasn't the case, but the answer still didn't give any clues as to why she was here.  My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door.  Rory went to answer, and I saw that the food we'd ordered had finally arrived.

"Feel free to help yourself," I said gesturing to the spread before us.

"No, thank you.  We've already had breakfast this morning," Mom replied.

"We?" I asked.  Meeting and staying together? I wondered.  I noticed Rory deep in thought next to me.  She was probably trying to figure this out in her head just as I had been.

"Yes, your mother is the only person I've felt like I could talk to about my situation.  No one else wants to have anything to do with me right now.  I've been ostracized," Odette replied.

"And what exactly is this situation?" I probed.  She'd been skirting around the issue long enough.  I studied her expression for a clue, but she would hardly even look at any of us.

"This is really hard for me, Logan.  I'm not sure how to put it, but I'm broke......"