Chapter 6

I don't think I have stayed at the Dragonfly since the trial run over 10 years ago.  It was just as beautiful as I remembered it.  I cannot wait to see the expansion my mom has in the works.  I was exhausted as soon as we hit the door to our room.  Today had been a long day of packing up my things for the move to New York City.  I finally had an address, a place to call home.  I was relieved that the moving company would take care of everything except the suitcase I packed for myself.  I dreaded having to carry my books.  I don't think I've ever gotten rid of a single book.  If I'm not careful, I'll be on an episode of Hoarders.  I have more books than clothing.  I don't think Logan anticipated the vast collection, the sheer number of tomes.  Just when he thought we had packed the last book, I found another drawer or box with more books stashed in it.

"Hey, Ace, do you think you'd be up for some dinner tonight?" Logan said, startling me a bit.

"Sure, Huntzberger.  What did you have in mind?"

"Don't you worry about a thing!  Take a little nap and I'll wake you in an hour," he replied with an air of mystery in his voice.

What did he have planned?  How was I supposed to sleep knowing he was plotting and scheming?  The power of the bed and pillow were drawing me into its grasp.  I'm sure it was part of Logan's plan.  Without another thought, I was fast asleep.

"Ace, it's time to get up," Logan said softly.

"Has it been an hour already?"

"Yes, it has been.  Now it's time for you to get ready or we'll be late for our reservation," he said with the same mystique as earlier.

I was thankful Logan agreed to stop by Stars Hollow.  I finally had more than three days' worth of clothing.  "What am I going to wear this evening, Huntzberger?"  I smiled, coyly.  I tried to read his reaction in an attempt to discern his plans.

"Why don't you wear your lucky outfit?" He said with a wink.

I could see he could hardly contain his excitement.  I wondered what he had planned.  There wasn't much he could do in Stars Hollow.  Everything closes early and the suggestion of my lucky dress doesn't scream "We're going to Luke's".  What are you planning, Mr. Huntzberger? I think to myself.  Life with Logan is never boring.  I find my lucky outfit, fix my hair and make-up.

"I'm ready to go, Mr. Huntzberger," I call to Logan.

Logan pulls a black, silk cloth from his pocket.  He wraps it over my eyes and ties it behind my head.  I'm instantly taken back to that fateful day just outside of my dorm, in the vestibule.  I was instructed to wrap a similar black cloth over my eyes waiting to go to my first Life and Death Brigade event.  A smile slowly grows across my face thinking about this memory.  I could feel his eyes on me even thought I couldn't see him.  I felt him slip an arm around my waist, guiding me down the stairs of the Dragonfly.  I could hear voices coming from the dining room.  I couldn't make any of them out yet.  The rumblings got quiet as we approached the dining room.

Logan removed the blindfold from my eyes.  I looked around the room, waiting for my eyes to adjust.  Faces came into focus.  My memory was not so far removed from the present.  Finn, Colin, Robert, Lane, Zack, Paris, Doyle and a few others' faces were staring at me, smiling.  Logan had organized a party.

"Kid," I heard my mother's voice behind me as the dull roar grew.  "You've got yourself a good one here.  I may have had my reservations about him before, but he's proven himself a hundred times over this last week."

"He really has been amazing.  I had no idea he was planning anything like this.  He just said dinner," I replied.

"This isn't the last of the surprises, Rory," she said, leading me to the conclusion there was more.  Just when I think it couldn't get any better, Logan turns it up to eleven.