Chapter 18.5

For the next few days, we immersed ourselves into everything the city had to offer.  We visited museums, studied architecture, and took horse-drawn carriage rides through the park.  I even managed to get a couple private tours at castles in the area.  I wanted Rory to feel as if the whole world were revolving around us.  Romance was in abundance, as was the food.  In the eyes of my beautiful wife, the latter far outweighed the former due to the baby's growing appetite.

Earlier in the week, I came up with the harebrained idea to whisk Rory away to Paris for the weekend, but I needed to make sure that she'd be ok with this slight change in plans.  I had already made some tentative plans with the guys if she agreed.

"So, I was thinking that, maybe, we check out tomorrow morning and fly to Paris for the weekend.  What do you think?" I proposed the potential change.

"Oh, wow.  I hadn't even considered.  They do have some great food in Paris.....why not?!" she replied.  "After all, Paris is the romantic city in the world.  It should definitely be a part of our honeymoon."

"I'll make the necessary arrangements," I said with a sneaky smile.

"What are you grinning about?  Do you know something I don't?"

"Guess you'll just have to wait and find out." My Cheshire cat-like smile grew bigger.  I couldn't wait to surprise her with a wonderful weekend in Paris.  Colin, Finn, and Robert had already been making special preparations.  I think the guys love scheming and taking her on adventures.  I was also hoping to make up for the rough start to our week.  At this point, I think she enjoys my surprises as much as I enjoy her reactions.

The next morning, we checked out and went to the airport.  We had done so much shopping in Hamburg that our suitcase count had doubled.  Traveling first class certainly has its perks, specifically being we didn't have to worry about our luggage.  All we needed to do was pack our bags and be on our way.  We boarded for the short flight to Paris.

Rory must have been feeling inspired to write because she pulled out her laptop and lost herself working on her book.  I loved seeing the look of determination and commitment on her face while she worked, tediously typing away.  I managed to check in with the office and everything was under control.  Once she put her computer away, I took my cue and sat next to her.

"How's it going, Ace?"

"I just had a great writing session.  I couldn't believe how much I got done!  It feels great to make some forward progress on this project, you know?"

"That's great to hear!  You are going to rock this book!  You and Lorelai have an amazing story," I replied and got a bit more serious.  "Now....how's our little Ace doing?  I know we've been focusing on us, but I seem to have a case of baby on the brain and I can hardly think about anything else today."

"I guess there's not much to report.  The baby is still tiny, so it's not like I feel anything except uncontrollable hunger, and that's not that much out of the ordinary.  That's how I know this baby is full blown Gilmore!"  Both of us laughed.  "After the early bouts of morning sickness, things seem to be much smoother.  At times, it's still not really real to me, even though we saw the baby at the doctor's office."

"I'll admit it's not quite real to me either, yet this is the scariest thing I've ever faced, and I've had a lot of scary Mitchum moments in my life!" I confessed.

"But you've seemed so calm, cool, and collected about all of this!  I'm so glad I'm not the only one freaking out about this!" she said, and she seemed relieved that we were on the same page.  "I can't believe we are going to be someone's parents!"

I laughed.  "I know, it feels completely wrong, but, as a team, we're going to figure this out together."

"As a team....we will," she replied, moving to kiss me.  I put my hand under her chin and pulled her lips to mine, and kissed her.