Chapter 12.5

I was still in a surreal state of mind.  After all of these years, Rory was my bride, and with the support of my family.  It was a tremendous feeling.  Now, we could relax and enjoy the reception, which was more of a cocktail party with music, drinks, and some food options.  We aren't the sit-down, formal dinner kind of people.  We were free to mingle, chat, eat, and drink to our hearts' content.

My family was relatively kind to Rory.  I'm sure my extended family had been poisoned by my grandfather, but they didn't let that show.  Maybe their faux kindness was somehow a sign of respect for me, but I couldn't be sure.  I stayed close to my new bride, and watched the party around us.  I loved being at her side, being part of this new team that we'd created.  I never, in a million years, imagined that this would be my wedding.  Every wedding I had attended in the past was a major social event.  I hated them, until I was old enough to sneak off for a sub-party with my friends, and get drunk.  This was the opposite, and I loved every minute of it.  Rory's attention shifted when Miss Patty, Stars Hollow's dance instructor, came over.

"Rory, honey, who are those gorgeous boys over there?" she said pointing at Robert, Colin, and Finn.  "Do you know if any of them is single?"

"Oh, Miss Patty, these boys are far too young for you," Rory replied with a smile.

"That's never stopped me before, honey!" she said with a look that said she would tear my friends to shreds in a way they'd never experienced.  I tried not to laugh out loud because the scene playing in my head was so amusing.  She seemed bound and determined to make one of them her plaything for the night.  I'd seen this look many times by older women at weddings. 

I heard a how coming from one of the guys.  I turned to see Colin blushing, and knew he had made the noise I'd never heard before.  I don't know what Miss Patty did to him, but it had certainly surprised him a great deal.  This was no small feat as I thought the guys had seen or experienced it all.  I was fairly confident the guys could handle themselves.  I know they've dealt with enough women similar to Miss Patty over the years at various weddings and functions.  Rory looked amused by the incident, as was I.  Finn came over to us.

"Rory, darling, who is that lovely woman?" Finn inquired.

"Finn, you take your life in your own hands with Miss Patty," she replied.  "She's more woman than any man I know can handle!"

"Do you know who you're talking to, Love?  Where's the scotch?"

As usual, Finn was on a mission to find himself a drink.  The guys seem to be steering clear of Miss Patty for the moment, but I had a feeling that could change in a heartbeat.  Colin had moved to the other side of the room, and Robert seemed to have vanished.  I scanned the room and noted that Paris was gone as well. 

I did, however, spot my dad heading toward us.  I continued watching the party and was surprised my mom was still here, too.  My family actually seemed to be having a good time chatting with Rory's friends from Stars Hollow, which was completely out of character for them.  Dad finally made his way to us.

"I don't think I've said congratulations to you," Dad began.  "Now, I know that our relationship has been less than ideal."

Great, where is this going? I thought sarcastically.

He continued, "I've know about the two of you for quite some time.  I like to know when things are going on."

This is definitely not the time to bring this up.  Why does my dad have to be a mood killer? I thought.

"After Logan called off the wedding to Odette, he finally came clean to me.  Of course that was while I was lying in a hospital bed, but he told me the story.  He told me how he saw you that day in Hamburg," he recalled, talking more to Rory.

Dad's face softened, making him easier to read.  Perhaps, he was going to do something nice for once.  He reached into his jacket pocket and handed me an envelope.

"Here," he said.  "It's all set up.  Logan, don't worry about the office.  They can handle things for a week without you.  I don't want you to make the same mistakes I've made."

"Dad...." I began.

"Logan, you have to do this!  I'm sorry we can't do more time right now, but take advantage of this.  Don't be like me!"

He shook my hand and held out his hands to Rory.  She reached back reluctantly.  "Welcome to the family, Rory.  I really mean it," he said before he walked away.

Holy shit!  Did I just witness Dad doing something that didn't serve his own interests? I thought.  I looked inside and saw tickets for Hamburg.  Our flight was Monday, and there was a hotel reservation as well.  I was in disbelief.

"Can you believe my dad did this?  He's never been one to advocate for family over work!  Even when my grandfather passed away, my dad was back to work less than 24 hours later.  He barely took time off for the funeral....of his father.  Could he have turned over a new leaf?  Is he for real or is this some sort of test?" I wondered aloud.

"Logan, this side of him seems foreign to me, too.  I don't know him as well as you, obviously, but I know him well enough to know this is not typical Mitchum," she replied.  "I don't think this is a test though.  It seems genuine.  Why else would he send us to Hamburg?  He knows what that city means to us."

"I know.  I'm just trying to get used to this 'new' Mitchum," I said thoughtfully.

"Things have definitely shifted in our favor, but it's like an earthquake and we're expecting aftershocks," Rory said.  "On a happier note, we actually get to take a little honeymoon."

I smiled, knowing this next week with my new bride was going to be amazing.  I was unbelievably happy with the change of events, and my dad actually supporting us.  I couldn't wait to whisk Rory off to Hamburg.  We get the chance to go back to where we rekindled our relationship.  I turned to Rory, put my hands on her hips and drew her closer to me.

"I can't wait to go back to where this chapter of our life started.  This is going to be amazing!" I kissed her and she collapsed, falling to the ground.