Chapter 28.5

"Paris, what a lovely surprise!"

"Oh, save it, blondie!" she retorted.  "Where the hell is Doyle?"

"He's right -" I was interrupted when Paris shoved her way past me into the foyer.  She looked like a crazy woman on a mission.  It was beyond her normal level of insane.

"Doyle!" Paris yelled upstairs.  "I know he's here.  I demand you tell me where he is, Logan!"

She looked at me with fury in her eyes.

"Paris?" Rory called from the landing.

"I know you're here!  Too scared to show your pathetic face?  Huh?  What are you doing here anyway?"

"Paris, calm down," I said.

We hadn't even had the chance to find out what was going on to connect the dots in Doyle's situation.  I guess we should have been better prepared for battle with Paris, but how did she know he was here?  Did he tell her?  My thoughts were interrupted by the doorbell  Of course the movers had to show up now.  They were just in time for the real life soap opera.

I took advantage of the opportunity to stay out of Paris's warpath.  I showed the guys upstairs to the nursery.  I didn't envy Rory for having to deal with her on her own, but if anyone could handle Paris, it was Rory.  She's one of the few people who have stuck by her side through thick and thin.  It was a testament to their true friendship.

The delivery guys were busy setting up the furniture.  Once they were finished assembling, they asked where I wanted it moved to.  I figured instead of guessing and having to move it all over again later, I'd just ask Rory.  I figured she'd probably had enough of the crazy for right now, and was in need of a break.  Paris is best experienced in small doses.

"Hey, Ace, we need you upstairs to help arrange the nursery," I called from the landing.

"I'll be right up," Rory replied.

I could hear them talking, but couldn't make out the conversation until they moved into the foyer

"We can talk more later," she said, walking Paris to the front door.

"Thank you, Rory," Paris said as she gave her an awkward hug.

Once she left, Rory came upstairs.

"Thank you, Logan," she said and kissed me.  "I don't know how much more I could handle.  Paris hasn't calmed down in all of the years I've known her."

"I kinda figured that, and we really do need to get the room set up.  I paid the delivery guys a nice tip to wait for you to come up and arrange the room," I replied and smiled.

Everything was jammed into the middle of the nursery.  Rory directed them where to put things.  When she was finished, she took a look around and smiled.  She nearly cried, but stopped just short.

"This looks amazing," I said and put my arm around her.  I kissed her on the side of the head.

"She'll be here before we know it."

"Does that freak you out?"

"Yes!  I don't know how I'm going to do it," she admitted.

"Do what?"

"The pushing the baby out of my body, the caring for the baby, everything!  I remember when I was the only person there for Sherry when GiGi was born.  Dad showed up just in time.  I was so relieved that I didn't have to see GiGi being born.  I watched a video of a woman giving birth the other day.  There's no way this thing is coming out down there!" she said, pointing to her lower body.

"Ace, you're going to do great.  I'll be there with you, to support you when she's born!" I replied.  "You won't be able to get rid of me!  I've already arranged to take off a month once Tory's here."

"A whole month?" she said.  She paused and wrinkled her nose.  "You called her Tori.  I don't think I like it.  It doesn't feel right."

"So, you don't like Victoria or Tori?"

"No.  Heard it out loud, just isn't right.  Guess it is back to the old drawing board," she replied and felt disappointed.

"It's ok.  We still have time to figure out a name," I said.

"I know," she said, admitted defeat.

"What did Paris say about Doyle?" I asked, changing the subject.

"She wants him to sweat for a few days, but I think she's willing to give him another chance," she replied.

"Really?  That's so typical," Doyle said from the hallway.

"Doyle," Rory said, obviously annoyed by his eavesdropping.  "You were listening in?"

"I have a right to know what's going on, Rory.  This is my life and my future," he stated.

"Don't let Paris know that you know, ok?  I don't need her mad at me, too."

"Fin.  What am I supposed to do until then?"

"You can stay here, Doyle," I said.  "How's your job situation?"

"Bleak," Doyle replied.

"Well, I could use some help with the Gazette.  I'm going to need someone to take over once she makes her arrival," she said pointing to her stomach.  "It doesn't pay, but it would be a big relief to know someone competent was running it in my absence."

"I will check at work to see if we have anything available.  I know you are a hard-working, talented writer," I added.  I knew he probably wouldn't be happy with a beginning position, but I knew I could pull some strings, if need be.  This might actually work out to my advantage!

"You would do that for me, Logan?  I don't know what to say," Doyle said, stunned.

"Don't think it's lost on me that you had to deal with a lot of crap from my dad when you were the editor at the Yale Daily News, and I certainly had a less-than-stellar work ethic back then.  Let me help you," I replied.  He was one of the hardest working people I knew.

"Wow, I really appreciate this.  Thank you!"

Doyle hugged me in gratitude.  Wow.  I've never been hugged like this by anyone before.  Rory was stifling her laughter.

"Doyle, you are welcome to stay here.  We are heading to Stars Hollow for the day.  Just make yourself at home!  We'll be back later," she informed him.

"See you later," he replied.