Chapter 31.5

After about a week of working from home, I finally went back to the office.  We'd worked out shifts during the day to help take care of Rory.  I hated leaving her, but I knew she was in capable hands.  For the last couple of weeks, Lorelai, Finn, and Mom tended to her needs.  She'd been waited on hand and foot.  I knew that having friends and family would be a better choice for Rory.  I also decided to hire a maid to help out until the baby came, and Louis, our chef, was on full-time as well.  I didn't want to take advantage of those who were helping us out.  Besides, none of them had spectacular cooking skills unless you counted ripping and dumping.

Today was one of the few days where neither Finn nor Lorelai could make it.  Surprisingly, Mom stepped up to the plate without a second thought.  I couldn't believe she'd volunteered her time, even if she wasn't Rory's favorite caretaker.  She said it felt awkward with Mom there.  Mom was generally quiet, and sometimes Rory seemed to enjoy the peacefulness.

Although I was grateful for my mother's willingness to help out, I always worried on those days.  I wanted to trust her, but I just couldn't fully embrace it.  I thought about how she'd sabotaged our relationship before, and it still hurt too much to let it go.  It was a nagging in the back of my mind.  'What ifs' crossed my mind all day.  I tried to remind myself that she'd been working hard to change our perception of her, and so far, it was going well.

I was very busy at work with meetings and calls.  It made the day go by quickly, but time seemed to stand still when it came to having lunch with my dad.  He'd messaged me a hour ago asking to meet up.  I begrudgingly agreed, knowing that he knew my schedule  Even though we'd come to somewhat of an understanding about my life and choices, I still dreaded spending much time with him.  I always felt as if there were some ulterior motive lurking in his words.  We met at the café on the first floor of HPG.

"Logan, I'm glad you could make it on such short notice," he said to me when I got to the table.

"Dad, it's no problem," I replied.  "I wouldn't want to turn down lunch with the CEO."

He laughed at my bad joke.  He seemed a bit off his game yet.

"Son, I just want to say that I'm proud of you for the way you've handled yourself lately," he started.

Did I hear those words right?  He was 'proud' of me? I thought.

"Thanks, Dad," I replied unsure how to react to this.

"You've really stepped up at work, and I'm only hearing good things about you," he stated.  "And you are managing to balance work and Rory.  I was worried that work would suffer with her being on bedrest, but you've managed to accomplish something I never thought was possible."

"It's not all me, that's for sure.  It helps to have a good support system.  Friends and family have stepped up to help out with Rory, and I've been working from home and the office.  It's not an easy balance, but I've tried my hardest to make it work for everyone," I replied.

"I'm glad to hear that things are going so well because I've been giving retirement some serious thought," he said dropping a bombshell on me.

"You?  Retire?" I said.  I was completely shocked for the second time in the last ten minutes.  First he's proud, and now he's talking retirement.

"Yes, Logan, me.  I'm considering coming back for about a year to help you get settled, and then I'm going to take a nice long vacation with your mother."

Was he trying to shock me to death?  I've never heard my father talk like this.....ever, I thought.

"Dad, are you sure you're feeling well?" I asked.

"I've had a lot of time to think.  I see what you and Rory have, and we used to be the same way.  I don't want to be miserable, and I want to enjoy my family.  You've really inspired me more than you know, son," he confessed.

I had no idea who the man in front of me was, but I wasn't going to let this opportunity pass me by.  I silently vowed to help my dad however I could.  After we finished our lunch, I went back to the office to put out a couple fires.  I opted to leave a little early since I knew Rory was home with my mom today, and those were usually awkward days for her.

After I came home, Rory told me about her day with my mom.  She explained the story of how my parents met and the early part of their relationship.  I vaguely remembered it, but this wasn't the happily ever after version she'd told me.

"Are you sure that was my mom and not her evil twin?"

"It seemed like she was sincere," she replied.

"Truthfully, I don't know all that much about my mom.  She was honest telling you about not being involved much in my life growing up.  I saw more of the nanny than either of my parents.  Now, she wants a second chance?"

"That's what she said.  She wants to be a better mother, and I assume grandmother.  She also mentioned a reconciliation of sorts with your dad," she added.

"I've seen the change with her.  She's been nice to you, and what she did for Odette definitely wasn't typical Shira.  Maybe she's seen the light," I said.

"It could be the baby speaking for me, but I think we should try," she replied.

I knew that this was something that would fall into line with what my father wants, so I knew what my answer had to be.  "I think we should, too," I agreed.