Chapter 8: Call him

I follow behind him, not sure where he is going or whether he knows I am following him but I am anyway.

He walks out using the back door to the pool and where the bar is. He doesn't stop there though, he continues walking. He goes past the gate to the little woods behind the house.

Then, he stops abruptly and pulls me through the trees, to a clearing. You can see the stars up above and the beautiful round moon. The trees surround us, tall and thin but strong at the same time. There is a long log which he sits down on, I sit down next to him. He is bent towards the ground, head low and his fingers clasped together, fidgeting. After a moment of silence, he spoke.

"Do you know why I broke up with her?" he says in a low voice.

"No..." I stutter, unsure of how to react.

"I thought that I was in love with another girl..." he says as if that could hint why he brought me here.

"Oh... Who is she?" I ask, genuinely confused why he was telling me all this.

I thought he was just going to walk around for some fresh air and I would walk with him and tell him that things happen. But no. He decides that I am the best person to talk to when it comes to why he broke up with his girlfriend. Might I remind you that I TP'ed his house not so long ...

"She's you," he whispers softly. It was almost inaudible but the words immediately dismiss the rest of my thoughts?

"What? What do you mean," I ask, in utter shock, things like this don't happen in real life now do they, don't they just happen in books and movies? But I am soon in even more shocked when his face is suddenly next to mine. I can feel his breath on my skin.

This is definitely the closest I have ever been with a boy. His breath on my skin sends a tingle down my spine. What on earth is happening to me?

As my mind buzzes with thoughts, I feel his lips touch mine. I stare into his green eyes, not having anything else to look at and to say the least, his eyes are mesmerizing. Our lips stay there, just barely touching. I feel fear creeping up from my spine but at the same time, I think of how I have imagined this scene in my mind so many times before as I longed quietly in my bedroom, thinking of how a kiss would finally feel on my lips.

Then, he moves his hand up to my face, cupping my cheek. His thumb moves slightly, caressing my cheek gingerly.

I want to push him away but I can't find it in me to do so. He makes my heart thump wildly and gives me a sensation I have never felt before.

We stay like this for a while before he pulls back slowly.

"Come on, let's go."

We go through the woods again, going back the way we came, soon, we are near civilization once again.

Before we go past the gate, Josh pulls me close to him. He holds out my hand and places a small piece of paper in it.

"Read it later," he whispers and with that, he leads me back into the house with a smirk on his face.

We go back into the kitchen and I quickly excuse myself to the bathroom.

I notice that Eugene is back and he gives me a look that I can't really decipher its meaning. I go to the toilet anyway, with the paper still held between my fingers. I hold it between my palms carefully and finally decide to unroll it.

On the paper is a line of digits, then "-J". What did this mean? I wondered, feeling like a complete dumbass.

I lean against the sink and wreck my brain, why would he give me a bunch of numbers anyway. Oh, wait. This is his number.

*****

We drive back home when the party started to die down. Eugene and I had to try to get Norris and Oliver in the car since they were well drunk, a feat easier said than done.

Well, I can't really say that since I barely did anything. I just stood by the door and helped the guys to their seats while Eugene had kind of carried the guys to the car. H wasn't exactly carrying them but neither was he holding them so I don't really know how to describe it.

Eugene rolls down the windows to let in some fresh air before we drive off, back to Mansion Pearce.

"Why don't you drink?" I ask Eugene softly.

"It's not really my thing to drink. Usually, I only drink in big parties."

This was a small party? Was all think of before he asks me back, "Why don't you drink?"

"Well, I don't drink," I replied flatly, "Never got drunk before."

"Really? I just thought you would drink, at least a little since Cameron usually drinks." He says, looking surprised.

That was my face when I saw Cameron drunk.

I can't help but think back over the night when I was in the woods with Josh. How was I supposed to feel? I felt scared. How am I supposed to feel now? I feel confused.

"Something is bothering you," Eugene states.

"Yeah, how did you know?"

"Well, you're doing the thing with your ear again,"

"Oh.."

"Is it Josh?" he asks as his eyes continue to focus on the road.

"Yeah, he gave me his number, I don't know what to do with it."

He is silent for a while, in fact, a long time until we reach the mansion. We bring the two boys to their room in silence, only speaking to give each other instructions. Once Norris and Oliver are both in their rooms, in the hallway I whisper to Eugene goodnight.

"Call him," he says.

"What?"

"Call Josh," he says, just before he closes the door to his room.

// thank you for reading!