Chapter 36: Gingerbread

Cameron stops the car in front of a restaurant. I alight and wait by the car, expecting him to get off but he just drives away... What? My phone buzzes and it's Cameron.

"He's waiting for you inside, he already has a seat by the window." He says and abruptly cuts the call.

Is this the doing of Eugene?

I tell the waitress someone is expecting me and they let me in. I glance at the seats near the window and I quickly find Eugene with his cap peeking over. I walk over to him and take my seat in front of him. He looks at me with a playful smile, watching as I sit down.

"What are we eating?" I ask as I look around the table for the menu.

"I already ordered for us,"

"What did you order?"

"You'll find out soon enough when the food arrives," he replies mysteriously, "How was your appointment?"

"It was okay, as good as it could've been..." I say with a sigh.

"Okay, let's talk about something else, when are you going back for winter break?"

"I'm leaving the week after next week."

"On Sunday?"

"Yeah, what about you?"

"I'm not too sure yet but I might have to rush home earlier to take care of my father or something..."

"Is he getting better?"

"The progress is ... gradual," is all he says in reply which let's me wonder if its good or bad progress.

"You will tell me if you leave right?"

"I will if I am able to," he says with a sad smile."

The waitress is in view now and she places my meal in front of me, lasagne, yes please.

"How'd you know I like lasagne?" I ask him.

"I have my ways," he says mysteriously with a wink and my face heats up in response.

"How's your family doing?"

"Actually, pretty well other than the fact that father can't work. My mother's a doctor which is a relief for us financially. It's better now than it was a few months ago..."

"That's good, my mom is a secretary and my dad's a baker which is why he liked to teach me how to bake when I was younger."

"If I go over to your place one day, do you think you would bake something for me?"

"Possibly but you'll have to tell me before hand."

"Well, prepare some cookies for me on Christmas."

"Oh, yeah? What kind?"

"Gingerbread."

"Do they need to be in the shape of a man too?"

"Yes, of course Camilla,"

"But you said gingerbread not gingerbread man."

"I thought you were asking for the flavour and shouldn't it be obvious enough?"

"Oh, come on. Just make them ginger men for me?"

"You might not even like it and I haven't baked in a long time..." I say.

"Well, you can practice and learn. You have like, a month to do that."

"Three weeks."

"Fine, three weeks. There aren't going to be many lessons after Friday either so you have plenty of time."

"We'll see." I reply with a playful smirk.

We finish our food and pay for the meals. As we leave the restaurant, Eugene's fingers continuously bump against mine as we walk side by side, causing bundles of electricity to course through my veins.

We walk down the block to Eugene's car and he opens the door for me.

"You never used to do that," I point out as I get into my seat.

"Well you should appreciate it because I don't just do it for anyone."

"I see, thank you for opening the door for me, could you take me home now?"

"My pleasure,"

"What am I supposed to say now?"

"Oh sweet Eugene, you are the absolute best, I love you so much and I am so blessed." He replies in a high-pitched voice.

I burst on in laughter and Eugene does too, "Where did you get that from?"

"Well, of course you," he replies in the voice that is supposedly inspired by mine and we laugh even harder.

We pull up to the front of the mansion and he instructs me to wait in my seat as he gets up and jogs to the other side and open the door for me. I position myself so that my legs are dangling by the side of the car as he stretches his hands which I take and he pulls me up, with a little too much force that I spring right up and stumble back a little. His hands fly to my waist to steady us but even after we've steadies, he doesn't let me go.

He looks me in the eye with a gentle smile on his lips then he closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. I cock my head to the side, unsure of what he is about to say or what he is about to do.

His eyes open again and fix on me, his dark and mysterious eyes and he says, "I am going to be honest that I was a loser for having not asked you out properly but instead wrote the question on a piece of my homework," he starts and I give a small chuckle as butterflies start swarming my stomach.

"So this time, I'll ask you out properly like how I should've in the first place, will you go out on a date with me. Again," he adds at the end which brings a smile on my face.

"If I kissed you right now, would you know, for sure that the answer is a yes?" I say.

He nods with a stupid smile on his face and I bring my lips to his. I don't think there was even the slightest chance that I would have said no.

I pull back from him and he leads me to the door, "I'll pick you up here on Wednesday,"

"What should I wear?"

"Whatever you wear when youbake," he replies simply and gives me a kiss on my temple before running off tohis car. Whatever I wear when I bake... AuY