Chapter 11: Bait

"I think you better go now," he says and I get out of the car.

When Josh drives off, Cameron drags me into the house.

"What was that?" he shouts at me.

I don't know how to respond, he never shouts at me like that.

"Don't hang out with Josh again." He says sternly, with clenched fists.

"No."

"What?" he says as he glares at me, eyes sharpening on me.

"I like him." I say which makes him even more frustrated, so much so that he starts messing up his hair.

"Don't do it Cami."

"Why?"

"Just don't!"

"Why! Why should I listen to you when you have barely even bothered to talk to me over the past week? I don't see why I should listen to you." I say and turn around to walk away.

I hear his heavy footsteps following behind me, following me up the steps and to the hallway of rooms. When we reach the end of the hallway where our rooms are, I turn around to look at him in the eye. He is just as furious as I am.

"Cami, stay away from him." He says again.

"Maybe you should stay away from us," I say softly and turn to my door and open it, slamming it behind me.

I lean against my door, sliding down to the floor, tears daring to spill over. And they do.

I hear a door creak open, "What happened?" Eugene asks.

"She's dating Josh." He replies with venom slipping from his tongue.

"Oh..." he said as his voice falters.

They whisper some things to each other before I hear Cameron's door close.

Moments later, I hear a knock on the door, my door.

"Go away." I say childishly, as I bring my knees closer to myself and put my head in between them.

"It's me, Eugene. Please let me in."

I contemplate and proceed to slowly rise from the ground. I take in a deep breath and open the door, glad to see Eugene standing there, alone.

He opens his arms and I fall into them easily. We close the door later and sit on the bed.

"Are you okay?" He asks softly.

I shake my head.

"What happened?"

"I've never fought with him before, I just... don't know why he won't let me date Josh. We haven't been talking either... I'm scared, Eugene." I say and brake into tears, crying on his shoulder.

He shifts himself so that he is in front of me and can give me a proper hug and I cry even more.

I don't know why I cried so much, but when I was in Eugene's arms, I felt like I could just let it all out.

When I'm done and feel better I look up at Eugene and look into his black eyes.

"Feeling better now?" he asks as he cups my face and moves his fingers across my cheek, wiping away the remaining tears.

He smiles at me and I find myself smiling back at him. After a moment, he takes his cap off and places it on top of my head.

"There you go, you're smiling again," he says brightly and gets off my bed, "You'll be okay Camilla, and I know you don't want to hear this but... Be careful," and with that, he goes out of the room, with the door closing behind him.

I take the cap off my head and hold it between my hands before washing up.

*****

Josh: Hey babe

Me: Still am not your babe

Josh: bae?

Me: nope

Josh: how bout girlfriend

Me: boyfriend

"Who are you talking to?" Norris asks as he walks past.

We are all in the recreational room, Cameron on the extreme end, far away from me.

"Josh,"

Trent whistles, "Josh got bait fast." He says, earning a high five from Nowell.

"We're back!" Tony announces as he opens his arms, as if he were introducing contestants on a show, and Wilfred and Alan come up from behind, lifting up their bags of food.

The guys run over to grab the food from the bags. Norris and Oliver walk back to where we are seating, Oliver passing me a box of food.

"Hey guys, where's Eugene by the way," I ask, the question that I have been thinking of since I came into the room and realised that he isn't here.

"He said that he was going out." Norris replies.

I nod in acknowledgement and open my box of food. Today, the boys brought back Chinese which is amazing.

My phone vibrates, signalling a message from Josh. Cue butterflies...

Josh: What are ya doing now

Me: dinner

Josh: what are you eating

Me: food

Josh: haha

Josh: very funny but for real what are you eating

Me: Chinese

Josh: Where? I want to come over

Me: Home

Josh: Aw... never mind then

Josh: ttyl

Josh: girlfriend

*****

"Camilla?"

"Mom! How are you."

"I'm fine, how's college? Is everything okay?"

"Yup. Everything is fine."

"Your sister wants to talk to you."

"Okay, hi Ally,"

"Cami! We miss you so much."

"I miss you too."

"Is your school big?"

"Yup, it is very big,"

"Do you have a boyfriend now?"

"Ally!"

"Ooo! What's his name?"

"Josh..." I say, feeling myself blush, "Don't tell mom yet okay, I want to tell her later."

"What? Why?"

"Just don't tell her yet okay, Ally. I want it to be a surprise."

"Oh... Okay Cami, mom wants to talk to you again. Bye!"

"Bye Ally."

"So how is school?"

"It's alright,"

"Is your brother okay? He didn't pick up my call."

"Um... Yeah, he is okay,"

"Alright then, sleep early okay and continue to work hard."

"Yes, mom." I say lazily, "Bye."

"Bye Camilla."