Chapter 29: I Know

I slide into the seat next to Cameron, the good big brother he is, who decided to give me a ride and drop me off at the bowling alley before he continued his drive to the mall. As we leave the mansion's gates, we start our discussion on Eugene's birthday plans.

"So, Norris told me the plans you guys came up with yesterday," Cameron starts.

"What do you think?"

"I think the birthday bash and Italian food is a go. Do you think we should do a lunch or dinner?"

"Dinner," I say after a whiles contemplation, "Some of the guys may have class before or right after lunch, wouldn't be a good to have something rushed,"

"Good point, you know where the food place is?"

"Yup, I think I'll be able to deliver the food with someone, I'll need to check my schedule first though,"

"Okay, any ideas where we can have it?"

"I don't know..."

"I was thinking of the cool warehouse café thing we went to with Alicia and Ally but it's quite far away,"

"Yup, that place is pretty cool,"

"Yeah, we should go there again someday." He says and I nod in agreement.

He pulls up in front of the bowling alley and I take my leave, "See you later, cam,"

"See you," he says and I close the door, making my way to the bowling alley's entrance.

I step into the place and a memory quickly floods my brain, sending tingles up my spine. I look at the many faces at the lanes, silently hoping for his face to appear but I can't spot him. I resort to taking a seat in one of the plush chairs as I wait for the one and only Emily's arrival.

I'm still looking around when I feel a vibration, signalling a message from Emily.

Emily: Sorry Camilla, can't make it

Emily: Got caught up with Dave

Me: Seriously?!

Emily: Sorry! I'll treat you another day

Well, that's just great, I just got ditched by Emily. I continue staring at the screen as I wonder what my plan of action is going to be. I am in the bowling alley so what would make sense to do? Bowl? Well, I am already here...

I push myself off the comfy chair and go up to the counter to get some food first. I approach the counter and wait for an employee to be done serving her other customer so that I can make my order. I lean against the counter as I wait but I don't wait for long as when I'm waiting, I hear my name from someone I thought I would never see again, Josh.

"Hey, Camilla," I hear him say as his hands land on my shoulders and he spins me around effortlessly.

My breath hitches as he spins me around, he takes a step back and scans me, "I missed you," he says and his eyes travel back to mine. I want to run.

He takes a step forward, closing the gap between us, I could smell his scent and my breathing quickens.

"We should get back together," he says and he cups my face, then, he's leaning in.

I don't know what he is doing... No, I know exactly what he is doing but I don't know what I should be doing. Run? Yes, but I can't seem to get my legs to work at this exact moment. A million things run through my mind and one of them is the bell, signalling more people who are here to bowl, then, a fist flies past my vision, a hand grabs a hold of mine and I hold it too, slipping past Josh who's hand has now flown to his face. I don't see much more as I am being dragged out of the bowling alley and we are running. Eugene and I running.

We run towards the end of the block and take a turn. We don't stop yet, and I'm not sure what we are running from since no one is chasing us. Josh? The punch? We continue running down three blocks before we take another turn where we stop.

We lie against the wall of the building and we catch our breaths as we slouch against the wall, our heavy breathing filling the air. I continue staring at the ground, panting as I feel Eugene's gaze fix on me. I'm no longer panting now but my heart rate continues to speed up every moment his eyes are on me. I finally look up at him and he gives me a small smile. We look at each other for a long time and he continues to hold my gaze until I realise that I've stopped breathing and lean my back flat against the wall as I take in a deep breath of air. I look at the sky and I feel his gaze shift from me.

"That was a good punch, right guy yeah?"

"Yeah," I say quietly.

"You okay?"

"Yup," I say and my eyes wander over to him and scan his condition when I notice his extremely swollen right hand.

I move closer to him and feel his breath on my skin as I lift up his wrist. I touch it gingerly and I feel him flinch, "Let's go back to the mansion," I suggest, not wanting to leave him with a hurt hand which came about because of me.

*****

I walk up to the front porch, Eugene cradling his hand as I open the door to let him in.

"What happened to your hand?" I hear Ann exclaim.

"Nothing..." I hear Eugene say but Ann interrupts him.

"If that is anything, it is not nothing..." she says and walks off quickly.

We go to the kitchen and he leaves his hand under the cool tap water. I get some ice out of the fridge and put a cloth over it. I remove his hand from under the running tap and dab the ice on it.

"Thanks," he says, as we take a seat at the table.

I continue dabbing the cloth on his hand, "You didn't have to punch him," I say slowly and look up to see a small smile on his face.

"Yeah, I know."