Chapter 28:Ditched

I leave the doors of the lecture hall and just like every day since he came, I hope that I will see him there, I will be able to run into his arms again and ride in his car back to the mansion, but he is never here. I wish he was though and for some odd reason, the hope never fails to come back to me every day to remind me of what I miss. I sigh and make my way back home.

*****

It's been a week since I saw the ambulance and I'm still a little jittery... I've never been affected for this long before, not after the actual incident. Is it because I saw him there? No, I don't think so. He shouldn't have this effect on me anyway, should he? I don't know but I'm quite sure I am supposed to be studying now, I think, as I glance back down at my pile of books. I open the first page and read as much as I can before I get distracted by the vibration from my phone.

Emily: Hey

Emily: any of you girls wanna go bowl tomorrow

Me: Yeah, okay

Rose: sorry can't

Rose:  having a day with Jordan

Emily: aww

Emily:  so I'll see you tomorrow Camilla?

Me: yup

Me: time?

I text Emily, in our personal conversation, when I hear the bedroom door creak open. I glance up to see that it's Norris.

"Hey, umm... Later could you buy dinner with me and Oliver?" he asks.

"Yeah,"

"Okay cool, we'll meet at about five." He says and is ready to close the door but I quickly ask.

"What's happening?" why are we meeting that early?

"Well, you'll see," he says with a small smile and he closes the door.

Emily: is 11 in the morning okay?

Me: yah okay

Me: see you there

Emily: :D

Me: Why do you suddenly want to go bowling though?

Emily: I heard that there are some cuties who are always hanging out there

Me: yeah?

Emily: that's what I heard and since we are both single now

Emily: I thought we could both have some fun

Me: What about that other guy?

I ask, referring to her now apparently ex-boyfriend.

Emily:  we decided to call it off

Emily: Anyway, aren't you excited for tomorrow!

Me:  sure

I sure am excited but first, what is for dinner?

*****

I meet Norris and Oliver at the car and slide into the backseat. They seem to have already started discussing the plans for whatever we are planning for.

"You're here," Oliver says with a nervous smile.

"Hi," I say as I settle down in my seat and close the door behind me, this situation seemed very sketchy, with us just talking in the car and all.

"So what's happening?"

"So, it is Eugene's birthday next week," Oliver starts.

"And we need to come up with some stuff, that's why you are here," Norris explains.

"And also to buy dinner," I add.

"Yeah, so we will come up with some stuff today. The other guys will be meeting at other times and I'm supposed to report whatever to them tomorrow or something," Norris states.

"Okay, so are we staying in the car? I mean, we look a little suspicious don't we?"

"Well, let's head off now," Norris says and turns around to start the car.

"Where are we going?" I ask Oliver.

"We are going to the Thai place."

"Why?"

"Because Eugene won't be there since he doesn't like Thai food, plus there's Chinese next door so that we can buy home dinner."

"Good plan," I say, a little surprised at their good planning skills.

We throw around a few ideas for his birthday until we reach our destination. We quickly get a seat and order a few drinks before we start discussing again.

"What do you think Eugene likes?" Oliver asks.

"Why are you asking me?"

"Because your taste in food is similar to Malcolm's and Eugene and Malcolm were food buddies."

"Well... I like Italian," I say slowly and see the nods of approval from the both.

"Cool, could you send me a few of your favourites, dishes and restaurants?"

"Okay..."I say hesitantly.

"Drop me an email," he instructs and I do as he says.

I pass him my phone to let him type in his email. I send him a rough list with a few of my favourite dishes.

"Alright, so what are we doing?" Norris asks as he looks up from his phone.

"Shoot," he says as he points towards Oliver.

"Birthday bash? Cake? Beer? Mix tape? More food?" he says quickly, all the while shrugging.

Norris records down all of the suggestions on his phone. As he writes them down, the waiter comes back with our drinks.

"What day is his birthday?"

"Thursday." Oliver says as he takes a sip of his drink.

"Can we do a party on a Thrusday?" I think aloud.

"Nah, Eugene isn't a fan of parties," Oliver says.

"True,"

We continue trying to generate new ideas until we finish our drinks and decide that it would be a good time now to hope next door and order our dinner. As Norris orders the food, Oliver and I stand outside, leaning against the wall in silence until Oliver breaks the silence.

"When do you think Eugene is going to ask you out?" he randomly says.

"What?" I say as I feel my heart rate pick up at the nature of the question.

"Well, don't you think he is going to?"

"Not really... Actually, not at all." I say, Oliver shrugs in response.

At this point, I don't even know where to begin with Eugene. It is as if ever since he first gave me his number and I have his number in my phone, I feel myself wanting to see him more and more. I catch myself hoping to see him standing at the front of the school building, waiting for him, hoping to see his car parked there just as it was that day when he came to pick me up. It is as if these feelings I had of him were always there, just hidden under my foolish feelings for Josh, but when he gave me his number and kissed my hand that day, it felt like something had sparked and lit up again, after being dimmed for a long time. What am I feeling right now? Does he feel the same way?