Chapter 35: One Month

I spring up from the bed, my heart pounding loudly in my ear as the pressure on my heart builds up. I break out in a cold sweat as I pull my knees up to my chest, bending down my head as I try to breathe. Why now. My muscles tingle and strain beneath my skin and I feel myself shaking.

"Camilla?" I hear someone say.

He wraps his arms around me tightly and I attempt to relax against him.

"Don't cry," he whispers, "Everything's okay,"

I touch my face and realise it's covered with hot tears, "Don't tell Cameron," is all I'm able to say but I'm not sure if he heard it or if the words got caught in my throat...

*****

I wake to sunlight streaming in and the smell of pancakes beside me. I sit up to a series of post its tapped to the edge of my bedside table, I quickly recognize them as Eugene's handwriting.

Rise and Shine! hope you're feeling better :)

Eat some pancakes and drink some milk

And I told Cameron, don't be mad

I sigh as I read the last note but I don't feel mad, I would have told Cameron anyway, maybe. Well, Eugene definitely helped with that.

Beside the blue post its is one with Cameron's handwriting on it, a yellow post it.

Texted mom, you have an appointment on Sunday morning

I gather the post its and stack them on top of each other on the edge of the bedside table before I brush my teeth and dig into the breakfast.

The pancakes and milk are still warm, pancakes already doused in maple syrup with butter on the side. I eat the meal heartily, putting down my appointment in my schedule, which is tomorrow, and looking through some texts, trying to distract myself from the biting sadness of having to go for another appointment. It's not that I despise her or even dislike the appointments or anything, it's just disappointment. When I left that room months ago, I thought I was going to be fine and would never go back again. I guess there was some unfinished business my heart couldn't help but attend to at this moment...

Emily:  So how was the date?

Emily: Are you still with him?

Emily: Picss

Right, I send them, one of the pictures I took yesterday, I can't believe it was just yesterday we had our date, feels like it was a couple days ago.

Rose: I think she's busy now ;)

Emily: Yeah!

Rose: Anyway, want to meet on Sunday?

Emily: I'm down

How convenient...

Me: And I can't on Sunday, I'm getting those again :(

Me: I have an appointment then

Rose: panic attacks?

Me: Yeah

As I type, a disappointed sigh escaping my lips, I feel the bed dip and I whizz my head in alarm to see Eugene.

"Do you feel better," he asks quietly.

I nod in response, looking down at phone as I am unable to look at him as I recall what he probably saw from last night. He moves closer to me slowly, as if if he moved a second too fast I would break like a fragile vase and shatter into a million pieces.

I turn around so that I'm not facing him but when I feel him behind me, his hands land on my shoulder and he spins me around. I look up at him in shock and my eyes widen when he leans in for a kiss. I want to push him away but I also want to pull him closer. I end up doing neither but simply kissing him back. He pulls back, hands cupping my face as he stares into my eyes leaving a small kiss on my temple.

"Are you mad?"

I let out a chuckle hearing his words, "No," I reply softly.

"Okay, but I have to go home now, I'll come tomorrow,"

"Okay," I say and I stand to see him out of my room.

He opens the door, ready to leave and I press my lips on his cheeks for a cheeky goodbye kiss before I close the door on him.

*****

I mostly laze around in the morning, picking at some work but not doing much and I am surprised when I hear an unexpected knock on my door. I drag myself off my comfy position on the bed to the door. I open it and a smile jumps onto my face when I see Rose and Emily and my favourite Italian take out.

"Hey Camilla," Rose greets brightly.

"Look what we I brought," Emily sings as she waves around the bag of take out.

"Thank you," chirp as I take the bag from her.

I take out the box of food and utensils from the bag and put them on my table, I hadn't realised how hungry I was until I saw the food. I allowed the aroma-filled scent waft into my nostril with one big breath and I took my first bite.

"So, how was your-"

"Hold on," I say quickly when my phone vibrates when it receives a message from Eugene.

Eugene: Send them this picture instead

And he sends a cute picture of him at the beach with only his swimming trunks on.

"He wanted me to show y'all this pic of him," I say and toss my phone to them.

"Wew, it must've been a hot day," Rose comments.

"Especially standing next to him," Emily says, "How is he?"

"He's Eugene," I reply.

"That's very vague." Rose states teasingly, "And you're still wearing his bracelet."

"Yeah," I say, looking at my wrist.

"You still have his cap." Emily says.

I nod in reply as I take another bite of food.

"Was the date good?"

"Yeah, it was really good, we talked a lot,"

"Is that all you guys did?" Emily prompts.

"Well, we kissed too, a few times."

Emily and Rose nod approvingly and give each other looks which I ignore.

"How about Jordan, Rose?"

"Sweet and amazing as always," Rose gushes.

"And good news for me, I'm still with Dave!"

Rose and I laugh at her achievement of having been with Dave for a month and even Emily joins in.

"It's an accomplishment to be praised," she chokes out between the laughter.

"By your standards," I add for her.

"Especially by my standards."

com0Kun