[4] The road

CHAPTER IV

The road

 The television is still on and Madeline is asleep on the couch.

Avon comes down the stairs. "Hi, Em," he says and walks toward the kitchen.

I switch off the television and go to talk with Avon. "Hey, so what are your plans about L.W?" I ask.

"I just booked my flight tickets and tomorrow I'm going to leave," he says with a small smile on his face. "Finally I'm going to achieve my dream and....."

Avon is busy with his talk but I see her. She is standing behind Avon, holding a blood-covered knife in her hands. Giving me an evil smile, her eyes tell me what she's going to do. I'm frozen in place, my mind feeling numb.

"Emma, are you even listening to me?" Avon breaks the spell, making me look toward him.

"Yes, I was listening to you," I say in a calm voice. "Was just thinking how lonely it will be here without you," I explain, looking behind him to where the lady was once standing, but now there's no one over there.

I stop thinking about the previous incident. I'm not a believer of such spirit things, but what I saw was real, scary, and so dangerous.

I think I must talk about it to Dad. I think my brain is being crazy after seeing this big mansion, I think and laugh at myself.

*******

I have not seen Nina and Charlotte yet so I go to see them.

When I open the door, Charlotte is still sleeping with Mom sleeping beside her. I don't feel anything weird about it; a sick Charlotte is the same as a sleeping Charlotte.

But Nina is missing. I close the door carefully.

As I walk toward my room, I think to check Avon's first, as Nina could be there. When I get to Avon's room, he's sitting at his laptop typing rapidly. His eyes are bloodshot red as if he's been crying a lot.

"Avon, what happened?" I ask him but he doesn't reply. This time I shout his name loudly. He looks at me with teary eyes. "What happened?" This time, my voice comes out in a whisper.

"L.W send me an email. They disqualified me." He's still speaking when we hear Nina's cries.

When we reach the passage area, we are confused as to where the voice had come from. Avon goes downstairs while I head up. While I'm on the stairs, I hear stomping and Nina giggle. I reach the second floor, but I don't see anyone here. I search every room and library.

Nine isn't here.

The only place left is the room opposite the library, the abandoned room. I try to open the door but it's still locked. I start to head downstairs, stopping when I hear someone talking.

So there is someone inside.

I shout Nina's name. "Nina, are you there inside?" I'm still asking questions when the doorknob turns and the door opens. Nina stands in front of me, a small box held in her hands. Her dress is covered with dust.

Nina hugs my legs. Inside the room, it's so dark that nothing can be seen. Before I can enter the room, the door shuts in my face, scaring both of us. I hold Nina in my arms and run downstairs.

Mom sits in the living room. The televisions on, but the signal has gone off. I call to Mom, but she doesn't look at me. I go closer to her. Her eyes are open but lifeless, not indicating any movements. I shake her, but she doesn't wake.