[5] There is someone

"She is watching you"

CHAPTER V

There is someone

I'm in my room when I hear yelling from Nina's and Charlotte's room. When I reach their room, Madeline is with Nina and Charlotte is hiding with her blanket.

"There is no one in this room, Nina," Madeline says to a crying Nina.

"She is right behind Em!" Nina says with wide eyes.

Madeline looks over at me, but I don't feel someone behind me.

"Emma, don't move, she is right behind you." Madeline's yelling now, jumping on the bed with Nina.

Before I can turn back and look at what they are referring to, I am being held by my neck in the air. My legs are in the air and I can't breathe, causing suffocation. This is the end, I think for one second, but then I am being thrown, hitting my leg on the chair.

The lights go off before I can handle myself and understand what is happening. The only sound is an evil laugh. I can't hear anything else.

After few moments, there is silence, but I am too afraid to stand up.

Charlotte's loud yelling scares me. I can't see her.

I'm still frozen in place when the lights come on, lighting the room with the lamp's light. I see Nina and Charlotte holding each other, while Madeline is missing. I look around, but she isn't here.

Something falls on my face from the ceiling. When I touch, it's sticky, causing me look at the ceiling and there is Madeline, crawling like a lizard. Her eyes are dark and her face has turned white in color. She crawls like an insect toward Nina and Charlotte. Before she can do anything, she just rises higher into the air, moving speedily around the whole room, circling us.

Madeline's hands are down, stretching herself until her whole body is tangled with itself, causing her bones to crunch. The sound of them breaking echo in the room.
Her body falls down with a loud noise, causing cold air to pass near me and closing the door shut right behind it.

I take Charlotte and Nina with me downstairs. We don't know where Madeline is, nor can we get out because there is no one in the neighborhood.
All we can do is wait for Mom and Dad to come back home.

I don't know when I fell asleep, but when I open my eyes, Madeline is sitting on the couch enjoying a show on television.

Nina and Charlotte are staring at her, too.

Feeling our presence, Madeline looks toward us.

"Hey, sleepyheads," she says in her shrill voice.

I don't speak. I just stare at her.

"Why are you three are giving me a horrified look?" she asks, now looking in our direction.

"Madeline, you don't remember anything?" I ask.

"Remember what?"

"You really don't remember?" Charlotte asks.

"Are you going to tell me what this remembering is about?" Madeline asks in an irritating voice.

"Nothing... We were just trying to make you angry, and look, we did it... Yeah, it is so easy ... to make you angry.. and so fast.." I'm just mumbling when Mom and Dad's voices come from the front door.