Chapter Three: Kozmic Blues

I keep pushing so hard the dream,

I keep tryin' to make it right

Through another lonely day

I wandered through the hallways of Sweet Amoris, and felt alone and out of place. All these other people knew where they were… where they were going… What floor was I on?

Anxiety welt up in my chest as the ringing of the first bell filled my ears. I should have accepted Nathaniel’s offer. I was a stubborn idiot. I sighed and looked at every room and locker number that I passed by. Maybe someone around here could help. But most of these people seemed uninterested with me, and absorbed in their own lives.

1148… 1149… 1150… Aha! There it was: 1151. At least I found my locker. Albeit, finding my classes was a greater priority…

I opened the locker and put away some of my things. It had a musty smell to it, but it would do. I closed it and looked at my schedule for the umpteenth time. My first class was Biology in room B122.

The doors around me all had a letter D adorning them. I supposed the letters corresponded with the floors. That made sense. Well, I was all the way up on the fourth floor… somehow…

I weaved through the crowded hallway and staircase. I made it down the first set of stairs intact, but someone shoved by me at the end of the second set, which caused me to trip and fall. Before I knew it I was sprawled out at the bottom of the stairs. That was me, the ever graceful dancer, Desirée.

Laughs of some people echoed in my ears, but most of them just ignored and walked around me. I felt my cheeks begin to burn against the cool tiled floor it laid on. This school sure was full of nice people.

I heaved a sigh.

“What are you doing?" A familiar, annoyed voice asked me. 

“Planking, obviously." I replied without looking up. I knew who it was—that red haired guy from yesterday.

He snorted, grabbed my arm and hoisted me up roughly. The delicateness of a bull in a china store.

Still, he seemed kinder than most of these other students.

I brushed myself off. “Thanks."

“Whatever." He shrugged and went on his way.

Hey, I still needed his help! Though, he’d probably start hating me if I kept bugging him. I bit my lip and hesitated for a split second before I called after him. “Hey, wait up!"

I guess he didn’t hear me because he kept walking. I rushed after him. He stopped suddenly and turned, and I tripped over my shoe, about to fall again. I didn’t make contact with the ground this time. No, this time, he caught me. My widened eyes stared into his unfazed, disinterested ones.

“Uh… I—I’m real sorry about that. I didn’t mean to…um…" I noticed that he still had a firm grip around me.

He raised an eyebrow and propped me back up on my feet. “Maybe you should learn the basics—like walking—before coming to high school." He smirked with amusement in his steely, grey eyes.

I half smiled at him. “Right. Anyway… I just wanted to ask you something,"

“What? If I’m single? Why, are you interested, Sweetheart?"

I rolled my eyes. I had dealt with guys with egos larger than his. They were irritating, to say the least. The difference was that I had to be kind to them. “No, I’m not, Casanova—and I do have a name." 

He sighed and regained that bored expression of his. “Whatever, I don’t really care. What do you want?" 

“I’m, uh, new here and needed help finding a class. I have Biology in B122. Do you know where that is?"

Dreamerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें