Chapter Five: Hide Your Love

Sometimes I'm up, sometimes I'm down

Sometimes I'm fallin' on the ground

How do you hide, how do you hide your love?

The day passed by quickly, and school was finally over. I gleefully headed to my locker and carelessly tossed some of my books in. I hummed to myself and found myself face-to-face with Nathaniel.

“Oh, hey there, Nate." I smiled happily.

He chuckled. “You seem happy." His face suddenly turned serious. “Look, Desirée," He looked away and rubbed his neck. “I heard that you are going out with Castiel tonight." I couldn’t help but notice the edge in his voice when he said Castiel’s name.

I folded my arms over my chest and raised an eyebrow. “How? Is knowing that part of your duty as well?"

He sighed. “No, Melody told me." That wasn’t surprising—it wasn’t difficult to tell that something was going on between those two, but they always denied. I found it really strange when two people who were so obviously into each other refused to admit it. They weren’t fooling anyone!

“Anyway, I don’t think that it’s a good idea. He’s not an innocent guy. And I’m sure he’s up to no good. It’s dangerous to get close to him; you don’t know what he might do." Nathaniel’s tone had obvious bitterness to it.

My eyebrows knit together. “Look, I know you two have your problems, but don’t drag me into it. I really don’t care about the bad things you have to say about him, Nathaniel. The fact is, he’s my friend. So don’t go poking your nose around my business." I snapped at him defensively. A look of hurt painted his face. Served him right. But still, he had such adorable puppy eyes…

“I’m sorry, Desirée, I didn’t mean to upset you—"

I shrugged with a sigh. “It’s fine." 

“No, it’s not." He shook his head. “You’re right, it isn’t my business, and for that I apologise." He glanced at me uneasily. “Just be careful, okay?"

“You have nothing to worry about. I’m perfectly capable of taking care of myself!" I chuckled.

He nodded. “Yes, well, I’ll see you later. Enjoy yourself." He turned and left. What a guy.

“Hey, Des, are you ready to go?" I saw Castiel approach me from the corner of my eye.

I beamed up at him. “Yes, of course." I glanced down at my outfit. A loose brown sweater over dark jeans and black rain boots. ‘Frumpy’ I recalled Amber had said. I glanced back to Castiel, embarrassed. “We’re not going anywhere fancy, right? Because I’m not really dressed for it."

He grunted. “No, and you look fine." He smirked and patted my head, tousling my hair in the process. I fought the blush that threatened to form at his gesture.

“Hey!" I glared at him with mock anger.

He chuckled and led me away. “Come on, let’s go then." Castiel took me to the student parking lot. “Come and meet my baby."

Wait, he had a child? Apprehension built up within me. I wondered who the mother was. To my surprise, Castiel stopped in front of a big, black and red motorcycle. So, this was the baby? Wasn’t a cute one, that was for sure. No, I wasn’t a big fan of motorcycles.

Castiel handed me a helmet. “Get on." I stared at the helmet. Nope, no, negative.

“No, I am not getting on that, Castiel." I stated firmly, with my gaze focussed on the headgear.

He snorted. “What? Are you serious? Don’t tell me you’re scared." 

I sighed and looked up to meet his eyes, flushed with embarrassment.